Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd April 2007, 14:21
Alter Hase

CJE
Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein's mysteries

Something puzzling about this well-known photograph.
It shows 29 "kills", 5 of them against Soviet planes.

But...
According to published lists of victories (Tony Wood), when he left the Western front, Sayn-W. had already 32 victories.
Why only 24 painted on the fin?

With two victories in the same night, he jumped from 4 to 6 victories on the Eastern front.
Why 5?

He reportedly bagged 7 kills in the night of 24/25 July 1943 (Obermaier says 20 July) but none of them appear in the same lists.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Old 23rd April 2007, 19:28

Kapper is on a distinguished road
Re: Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein's mysteries

Chris,

Attached is what I have on Heinrich Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein also gleaned from Tony woods list with a few additional comments. I've listed only 78 Victories (I'm missing 5).

From this you can see that he left NJG2 to take command of IV./NJG5 in the east. He gained 5 Victories in a brief period in the east before returning briefly to the West on loan to NJG1 during the battle of the Ruhr where he added another 5 Victories.

My guess is that 2 of the 5 victories that I'm missing was while he was with NJG 2 before going to the east at 24 Victories. The quick addition of 5 in the east gives you 29 before returning briefly for another 5 in the west in June 1943 for a total of 34. He then returned East to resume command of IV./NJG5 in July 1943.

The issue of pilots loaned from different NJG units to NJG 1 during the Battle of the Ruhr (around June 1943) has been discussed previously on this webpage.

You stated he had 2 Victories in a night to go from 4 to 6 Victories in the east, I'm assuming this is the 2 on the 18th July after he returned from his stint with NJG1. This would actually be his 10th and 11th in the East.

Tony Woods list supports Obermaier with 7 Victories on the 20th. I'm not sure about the 24/25 July claim.

If anyone can tell me the 5 claims I'm missing it would be appreciated.

Regards,

Craig...
Old 23rd April 2007, 20:25
Alter Hase

CJE
Re: Prinz zu Sayn-Wittgenstein's mysteries

Craig,

It's very nice of you. I do appreciate.
So, I guess the famous photograph where he is standing in front of C9+AE was taken before he returns on the Western front, in May or early June 43.

Thanks.

Chris