Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 15th May 2017, 06:30

DuncanM is on a distinguished road
Re: FAA total

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith A View Post
Sounds good Duncan, I hadn't realised they claimed so many...do claims with 803/806 RNFS count? I realise they are Hurricanes rather than Sea Hurricanes but perhaps following the idea that Seafires in the Normandy landings were effectively Spitfire V, and Martlet claims with RNFS/805?

I have 5 with PQ18 but think that is too high, and just 2 with 835 in 1944 (one shared with two pilots).

Keith
p.s. FAA claims with RAF be about 30 or so?
AFAIK, these are all shipborne kill claims. Shore based FAA Sea Hurricanes might have claimed others as well.

According to the RN NSH The Royal navy and the Arctic Convoys there were 6 accepted Sea Hurricane kill claims during PQ-18, but one may have been a CAM fighter.

There were certainly two post-war verified claims for Nairana/835sqn in 1944 but I believe that a 3rd aircraft was claimed to have been shot down, as it was burning and losing altitude when last seen.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMk11 View Post
Has anyone else arrived at a total? Or a total for any of these a/c types?

Cheers,

Bruce
According to David Brown Fairey Fulmar MK I & II, AP 254, there were 112 Fulmar kills.
Old 15th May 2017, 15:52

BruceMk11 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the additional input.
Old 18th May 2017, 19:39

I have a copy of Sturtivant's FLEET AIR ARM AIRCRAFT 1939 TO 1945. It gives a very short service history of every FAA aircraft including any approved kill claims. A quick read through the section on the Gloster Sea Gladiator shows a total of 13 aerial kills while the section on the Skua shows 27 kills.

I don't know how accurate these totals are and it involves adding up a number of fractional kills.
Old 21st November 2019, 18:17
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road

I did some work on the Kirkenes raid based on re-reading Send Her Victorious. I have decided that the four claims on this raid are three fighters (2 Bf110 and a Bf109) by the Fulmars of 809 Squadron, by LtCdr VC Grenfell, Lt J Cooper and SLt AER Wilkinson and one by an Albacore that's been discussed before. On a process of elimination can anyone tell me who claimed the Bf109? Based on the text it will be Wilkinson.

regards

Keith