Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Off Topic

Off Topic Please use this forum to discuss all off topic subjects.

Old 21st May 2019, 05:29
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Presidential Powers ?

Hi,
What powers does the president of the USA have and what extra powers does he have to enact further powers if the US goes to war in the middle east or Korea just before the 2020 election ?
Would the election take place or would it be put on hold until after the conflict ends ?
If held over how possible is it that the President could enact laws that would make him President for life as the ruler of China has done ?
The first Dictator to utter the words I will drain the swamp" was Mussolini shortly after taking power in the 1930's.
The present President of the USA it seems, admires Dictator's . He would give up America to anyone to become the President for Life Dictator of the USA.
So let's pray that he does not start any war's in the near future - it may be the last war ever on the planet but no-one will survive it once those nuclear weapons strike .
Old 21st May 2019, 09:18
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Presidential Powers ?

I hate to get into this but I did do Politics A-Level in 1969 … the formal position is that the president is commander-in-chief of the US armed forces. As such he has the power to deploy those forces but the power to declare war resides with Congress. However, as happened in the 20th century, the president may so deploy the forces that they end up fighting without a formal declaration of war. This leaves Congress with little option but to declare war because there is a fait accompli.

Do they still have an election in wartime? They did in 1944.

P.S. Mussolini drained an actual (rather than imaginary) swamp, the Pontine Marshes, in an effort to combat malaria.
Old 21st May 2019, 21:18
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello Nick,
Thank you for your reply, it cleared the mist
But although there was an election during WW2, Would the present situation stay within the rule or could there be such a situation as I outlined ,is bring about some sort of dictatorship ?
Thanks
Alex
Old 21st May 2019, 21:25
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Smart View Post
Hello Nick,
Thank you for your reply, it cleared the mist
But although there was an election during WW2, Would the present situation stay within the rule or could there be such a situation as I outlined ,is bring about some sort of dictatorship ?
Thanks
Alex
I'd suggest having a read of the US constitution — they have very sensibly written all their rules down.
Old 23rd May 2019, 13:52
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Read Sinclair Lewis' novel, "It Can't Happen Here" - Heavy going at first, but frightening, when considered against Trump's antics!

Col.
Old 23rd May 2019, 19:00
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I have no reason to believe that the current US President is anything other than a figurehead. As far as the power to go to war, the powers of the State reside in its war powers. There will be constant vigilance and full flexibility of action, election or no election. The current state of modern technology indicates only conventional wars with non-nuclear weapons can be fought.