Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st December 2008, 13:06

Foute Man is on a distinguished road
Question Some questions about KG 54 Bombing Rotterdam may 14 1940

Hello to all

I have several questions about KG 54 bombing Rotterdam, The Netherlands on 14th of may 1940. Unfortunately I cannot find some notes I made about this so I have to write these questions from my memory and since it's sunday I cannot go to my local library to try to find things out myself.

If I'm correct the number of KG 54 He111 that took of was between 90 and 100.

A - What was the exact amount of aircraft?
B - Was this the complete Geschwader with all available aircraft, or were this two Gruppen?

The time of bombing is said to be 13.20 and the flight itself took about 1.5 hours.

C - From where did they take of and on what time. Was this Delmenhorst?
D - What route did they fly?

At a certain waypoint the unit split up into two smaller groups, one group attacking from the north and dropping their bombs, the other group coming from the south, with the first three aircraft dropping bombs, but after a flare was seen the other aircraft were ordered to stop dropping bombs.

E - Where did they split up?
F - Who were the commanders of the two "attack waves" and from what staffeln were the waves made of.
G - Did the aircraft that did not drop their bombs have a secundary target, if yes what was that target

I'm aware of the historical debate with one side claiming this bombardment was legitimate because of tactical targets (to release trapped German troops in Rotterdam). The other side claims this was an act of terror dropping bombs on an undefended city.

H - Who are the frontmen in this debate and in what publications is this debate helt (sorry for my poor English in here)

I - Did KG 54 loose any aircraft during this or these raid(s)?

Enough questions for the moment, hope you can help me out

groeten van de Foute Man

PS: Enjoy the holidays!!!
Old 21st December 2008, 18:56
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Some questions about KG 54 Bombing Rotterdam may 14 1940

Hi,

some information`s:
- attack`s time was fixed at 15 hrs
- 100 He 111P bombers took off at 13.25 hrs for this attack from Varrelbusch, Hoya and Quakenbrueck
- KG54 split up into two formations shortly before reaching the target (54 bombers from stab, II. and III./KG54 formed first part and second numbered 46 He 111P bombers from I./KG54 under Obstlt.Hoehne)
- 43 He 111P bombers of I./KG54, which didn`t bomb Rotterdam, attacked some secondary targets
- I think that KG54 suffered no losses during this mission

Robert
Old 5th January 2009, 04:50

Foute Man is on a distinguished road

Aloha

Thanks for your reply, apologies for my late reply. A summarize and possible answers to my questions interpretating the post of Robert.

A: 100
B: 54 aircraft of Stab, II and III Gruppe suggest not full battlestrenght, perhaps all available aircraft at that time. 46 for I Gruppe suggest I Gruppe was at full battlestrength

C: Aircraft took off from Varrelbusch, Hoya and Quakenbrueck, not Delmenhorst
D: data about route and waypoints is still missing

E: Splitting up happened before reaching Rotterdam, exact location/area still unknown
F: I Gruppe was led by Obstlt.Hoehne, could the formation of 54 have been led by Geschwadercommodore Oberst Walter Lackner?
G: There was a secundary target for the 43 aircraft that did not drop their bombs on Rotterdam, secundary target still unknown

H: No data yet about the spokesmen in the historical debate between "tactical bombardment" and "act of terror"

I: No data of any losses of KG 54 aircraft during this mission yet, so probably all 100 aircraft returned to base safely

Dutch sources say bombardment was between 13.20 and 13.25, this was not the time of take-off. If the 1,5 hours flying time is correct aircraft took off between 11.45 and 12.00

Groeten!!!
Old 5th January 2009, 10:25
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

I thought I had more specifics on this operation, but anyway, you are more likely to get some of your questions answered at:

http://www.grebbeberg.nl/forum/forum...oup=1&view=all

There is also a fairly recent dutch publication available on the mission. Unfortunately I don't remember the title, however a single call or visit to De Luchtvaart Hobbyshop or Flash Aviation will result in you finding it.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;