Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th October 2020, 16:43
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Help with Word Definition

This rarely encountered word is Jagen. The internet and German military dictionaries says it means a sub-sector of forest, but in a purely Luftwaffe context in may mean something else. On 25.07.44 Luftwaffe Major (d.R.) Dr. Otto Schmidt (DOB: 23.03.85) and another Luftwaffe Major of almost the same age were reported KIA. The Luftwaffenpersonalamt records state that Maj. Schmidt was the Führer of Jagen 108. Could this also be a rarely used short-form designation for Jagdfliegerschule? There was a JFS 108 at Bad Vöslau/Austria. So what did "Jagen" mean in Luftwaffe terminology?

Any help most appreciated.

Larry deZeng
Old 20th October 2020, 16:57

Merlin will become famous soon enoughMerlin will become famous soon enough
Re: Help with Word Definition

Could it be the Nachtjagdraum 108 at Stuttgart 05.43 - 06.44?
Old 20th October 2020, 17:23
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I'd always understood it to be a night fighter control sector of some kind but I didn't know about the forestry definition (thanks for adding to my vocabulary!). I'd guess that the term was taken up by analogy.

Addition: Checking my German Miliary Dictionary (facsimile of a 1944 US War Department publication), it gives the almost the same definition Larry does: "sub-area of forest (for mapping purposes)".

Cassell's New German Dictionary (1965) has for the noun: "hurry, rush, hot pursuit, galloping; hunting, chasing, shooting; shooting preserve, game reserve."

I suppose that a defined area where you can shoot things is a reasonable analogy for a night fighter zone.

Last edited by Nick Beale; 20th October 2020 at 18:45. Reason: More info.
Old 20th October 2020, 17:35

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Larry,
I have never heard that word as a noun in German; of course as a verb, not beginning with a capital letter, it means to hunt or to chase.

Could it be that it is a mis-spelling, a typo, an errot in transmission or something of that sort ? Or a ( mis-spelt ) abbreviation.

KR

Jochen Prien
Old 20th October 2020, 18:28
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Many thanks, Gerhard, Nick and Jochen. Even if we haven't solved the puzzle yet, your expertise is very much appreciated.

I, too, thought it almost certainly had to be Nachtjagdraumführer 108, but then I rejected that choice because these military acronyms are almost always derived from shortened components of the word or words fully spelled out, e.g., Jafü for Jagdführer. The "Ja" in "Jagen" is easy; but where does the "gen" come from? Usually, I can get a hint (tip) from the officer's other assignments, but in the case of Maj. Dr. Otto Schmidt none have been found.

Now for a most embarrassing Nachtrag: I have been able to find details on the other officer that was with Maj. Schmidt:

LÖSCHNIGG, Adolf. (W.B.K. Wien II). 01.08.42 promo to Maj.(z.V./Fl.). 25.07.44 Maj. with JAGEN 108 (under 7. Jagddivision), KIA in direct bomb hit on Fluko (Flugwachkommando) Stuttgart night of 24/25.07.44 during raid by RAF Bomber Command.

Nachtjagdraumführer 108
(FpN: L 52617)

Nachtjagdraumführer:

Formation and History. (Jul 42 - May 44?)
Formed July 1942 at Stuttgart-Echterdingen in Baden-Württemberg to control Himmelbett radar sites under Jagdfliegerführer Süddeutschland and then later under 7. Jagddivision. Nachtjagdraumführer 108 was disbanded between February and May 1944 (FpN deleted 3 June 44).

So, JAGEN does indeed appear to be a little used acronym for Nachtjagdraumführer.

Thanks again, Gentlemen!

Larry deZeng
Old 20th October 2020, 19:03

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

I would never have guessed that. As we know, it is a verb in German, not a noun. I'm always interested in the Nachtjagdraumfuehrern, as my uncle was one.
Old 20th October 2020, 19:43
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
As we know, it is a verb in German, not a noun.
Well, now that we've looked it up it does seem to be (or have been) a noun as well but either a technical forestry term and/or an old-fashioned one. I'd certainly never seen any book reference to Jagen in night fighting that offered an English translation, so quite possibly the authors concerend saw it as an acronym.
Old 21st October 2020, 02:08

Russell is on a distinguished road

Hi

Otto Christian Schmidt, with the same date of birth, was born in Neuenkirchen Saarland Germany, and ended the Great War as the commander of Jasta 5, with some 20 victories. He is listed on The Aerodrome as being buried in the town of his birth, with a date of death as 24 July, so being killed overnight fits.
Russell
Old 21st October 2020, 06:49

Carsten Petersen is on a distinguished road

Jagden 108 was indeed Nachtjagdraumführer 108 at Echterdingen. It was disbanded in july 1944 and the CO, Major Otto Schmidt, was waiting for his release from service. He had asked for permission to wear his uniform after his retirement, and that had to be given from his commanding general. Otto Schmidt was killed during a RAF bombing attack on Stuttgart 24/25 July 1944.
Otto Schmidt was an interesting person who fought a long and bitter battle with Luftwaffe Personal Amt due to several errors in his file. He was well connected and used his friendship with high ranking Luftwaffe officers to get the promotion, that he deserved. That made him an enemy of the Personal Amt.
Old 21st October 2020, 12:21

Dan History is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen,

Thank you for a most enlightening forum discussion!

Even though I really should be doing something else, I became sufficiently interested in the linguistic point to look up the noun 'Jagen' and its definition, see below:

"Ein Jagen ist eine bestimmte abgeschlossene Waldfläche. Dieser Begriff eines Jagen wurde zuerst in Preußen angewandt. Jagen sind meistens durch Waldwege begrenzt und dienten der genauen Zuordnung von bestimmten Waldflächen. Alte Jagen (Walddistrikte) besaßen früher Steine mit Nummern."

http://www.heimat-mecklenburgische-s...ichshagen.html