Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 6th March 2006, 21:42

GrahamB is on a distinguished road
Question Caudron C.445 'Goeland' colours.

Kia ora,

having seen the excellent 'Avions' book on the Caudron C.445 and a few photographs scattered among my collection of Luftwaffe books, I am interested in chasing up a question about the camouflage used on those aircraft supplied to the Luftwaffe. About 600 aircraft were used by the Germans, most of which were built and supplied by the French Caudron company. The aircraft were finished ostensibly in three patterns: overall silver or aluminium (with dark anti-glare panel on nose), dark green/blue grey (said to represent RLM 71 or RLM 70 over RLM 65) or 'sand' over blue grey (said to be RLM 79 over RLM 78). In the field, the last two schemes were modified for desert or south Mediterranean use by addition of yellowish-sand over the dark green (to create a reticulated/'mottled' effect) or a dark green 'arabesque' over the sand.

My question is "Were the paints used by the Caudron company RLM materials provided by Germany, French-made matches to RLM specifications, or existing French Air Force colours?". I think that this question can be applied to other 'German' aircraft manufactured by French companies during WW2.

Meanwhile, my Airmodel 1/72 vacform waits patiently. Why hasn't this attractive (and real) aircraft received more attention from kit manufacturers? Answer: they are too busy producing ludicrous Luftwaffe '46' stuff!

Cheers,

GrahamB
Old 10th March 2006, 11:44

Lagarto
Re: Caudron C.445 'Goeland' colours.

Hi Graham, don't know much about camo, but while researching Mosquitos, I found this interesting bit about Pilot Officer Clarence Murl Jasper of RCAF's No. 418 City of Edmonton Squadron:

"Four days later (April 16th 1944), he joined three other Mosquitos for one of the squadron's most spectacular Daylight Ranger missions. Their target was the Nazi-occupied airdrome at Luxevil in eastern France. Nearing the target field, Jasper spotted a French-made Caudron Goeland twin-engine transport flying just above the treetops. It was easy meat on the table, but Jimmie Harper, another Mosquito pilot who had the same idea, cut him off. His momentary frustration evaporated when he turned on the airfield itself. With a timing that could only be ascribed to luck, the Mosquitos arrived just as a sizable unit of German troops climbed aboard a squadron-size force of Goeland transports. As the troops hurriedly boarded several idling planes, other Goelands taxied out to the runway or began their takeoff runs. The enemy had been caught flat-footed - a Mosquito pilot's dream!

'When I came across the drome, I lined up on two Goelands. I could see that one was loading troops, and I splattered the hell out of those. One caught fire and blew up. I flew over and found one transport taxiing out; it apparently had already loaded up. I blew him up. Over the runway, I found another Goeland that had just taken off and was maybe 300 feet in the air. I pulled in behind him. He exploded when he hit the ground'.

quoted from 'Mosquito Ace'
Flight Journal, Jun 2004 by Farmer, James H
Old 11th March 2006, 02:39

Hi Legarto,

Many thanks! Very dramatic stuff and it illustrates that the 'Goeland' was not some obscure aircraft. It looks as if my question is not going to answered as it has also been on the 'Modelling Madness' forum as well. Looking at the pictures of the 'dark green' C.445s suggests it was too light for the alleged RLM70 scheme and could be a French colour such as vert-khaki - this was supposed to have been used on the post-occupation production. I must delve into French colours some more.

Best wishes

Graham
Old 11th March 2006, 11:29

brewerjerry

Hi
If you try this board I seem to recall there was a thread on these a/c in luftwaffe use, If not there is the expertise to answer your questions, you may have to join but it is a very friendly board and very helpful, a great community.

http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/forums/

Cheers
Jerry
Old 15th March 2006, 09:12

Smile Re: Caudron C.445 'Goeland' colours.

Many thanks Jerry.

I had a quick search and did not find anything but will post the question. It looks to me as if Vert-Kaki/Gris Bleu Clair is the way to go. Some of the Goelands used in North Africa look as if they had the typical overspraying in a reticulation of the rushed-into-service 'yellow-RLM79'. The so-called 'mottled' patterns described , even by the the so-called 'Luftwaffe experts' in recent expensive volumes, on many Ju88s and Ju87s are really reticulations (Italian style). Once you've got your eye in it is relatively easy to spot, especially when you've used an airbrush and know the range of shapes achieved with an economy of effort.

Cheers

Graham