Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th April 2019, 17:19
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Oberst Von Lindenau - KGr.z.b.V.2

Good morning to all.

Is there any kind of information about the fate of Oberst Friedrich-Wilhelm-Kurt Von Lindenau, who went MIA on the 4th September 1944?

Went he missing on a flight accident, or in combat with elements of Flieger Regiment 53, on ground action?

Strangely he is recorded as the Kommandeur of Stab/Flak-Regiment 53 (o), which adds to confusion.

Adriano B.
Old 12th April 2019, 19:44
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Oberst Von Lindenau - KGr.z.b.V.2

He was Kdr. of Flieger-Rgt. 53 as stated.

2.9.44: Flieger-Rgt. 53 withdrew from Brussels to Turnhout on the Belgian-Dutch border. Attached to 85. Inf.Div. on 5 September, it was decimated defending positions along the line of retreat. Remnants sent to Groningen in NE Holland on 11 September. This entire story, including the loss of von Lindenau, can be found in one of the rolls of NARA T-971.

L.
Old 12th April 2019, 22:26
Alter Hase

Larry,

I used your mervellous work onto LW Officers as the main source, believe me!

However, there are some interesting gaps I can not find. Thank you for the information about this roll held at NARA.

What I found is:
a) Information regarding him being still alive at least at 10 October 1944 here: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/16183112.pdf (just search for Lindenau...pg. 131, etc.)

b) And the probably wrong information on Flak-Rgt. 53 here: http://www.ww2.dk/ground/flak/flargt53.html

Will try to find more about his loss. He is reported MIA on your huge file, on the 4th September 1944, but I can not find his name on the https://www.volksbund.de/en/graebersuche.html

Adriano B.

OBS: Thank you very much for kind help
Old 12th April 2019, 22:47
Alter Hase

Sorry, when you read 10th October, it was 10th September 1944
Old 12th April 2019, 23:49
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Hi Adriano,

"Around noon, during a conference with Oberst Von Lindenau, Kommandeur of Flieger Regiment 53 , Dreyer envisaged a three-pronged attack. While I./Flieger Regiment 53 ( Major Jürgens) covered the west flank of the bridgehead II./Flieger Regiment 53 (Major Ernst Heino Leopold Eberhard Senfft von Pilsach) would undertake the main effort along the road from Geel to Doornboom and I./ Flieger Regiment 51 would came in from the east. However, events had overtaken these plans."

This is a great study you found - very detailed, very comprehensive. Yes, the above passage seems to be from 9 or 10 September 1944. I also noticed that von Lindenau is not mentioned again in this nearly 500-page study, except in the index.

The second reference re Flak-Rgt. 53 from website www.ww2.dk is incorrect. In September 1944, Flak-Rgt. 53 was commanded by Obstlt. Dietrich Messthaler and it was located in Berlin-Heiligensee as Flakgruppe Berlin-Nord under the 1. Flak-Division. It was nowhere near Belgium. Von Lindenau was never a Flak officer. He belonged to the Fliegertruppen and not the Flaktruppen.

I hope you will continue your research on von Lindenau and let us know what you find out.

L.
Old 13th April 2019, 00:52
Alter Hase

Larry,

Yes, the PDF study is really amazing indeed. I have tried to find something related to his loss (if he was indeed lost in action) onto 85 I.D. histories, but got no joy yet...

Be sure that I shall share with all if eventually I find what happened to this Officer.

Adriano
Old 13th April 2019, 00:57
Alter Hase

L.