Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th February 2006, 23:41

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough
Neubiberg and Austria

Greetings,

For some time I have been researching the Bf 109s and Fw 190s that surrendered at Neubiberg on 8 May 1945. Now I am asking for assistance from the knowledgeable members of the board:
  • From what II./SG unit were the five Fw 190 Fs found at Neubiberg?
  • Does anyone have any Werknummern and/or aircraft numbers of the Bf 109s of II./JG 52 found at Neubiberg? I have accounted for the vast majority of the 38 II./JG 52 and Ung. 101 FG Bf 109s, but I still have a few holes to fill.
  • I am also searching for additional data (or photos?) on the II./JG 52 and Ung. 101 FG Bf 109s found post-war in Austria.
  • Is there a definitive source, which lists the pilots of II./JG 52 who made the flight from Austria to Neubiberg on 8 May 1945?
  • Approximately 25 Bf 109s of I./JG 53 were turned over to II./JG 52 in April 1945. Does anyone know how many I./JG 53 pilots went with their aircraft to II./JG 52?
Help with any or all of these will be greatly appreciated,

Steve Sheflin
Old 14th February 2006, 10:42

cproyston is on a distinguished road
Re: Neubiberg and Austria

Steve,

Based on my research, the Fw 190Fs were almost certainly from Gruppen Stab. and 7./SG10.

I've some WNr data for the JG52 109s, but you've probably already got it as it has all come from published photos.

Hope this helps,

Chris

BTW you might recognise my avatar as one of the JG52 aircraft - larger view attached

Last edited by cproyston; 14th February 2006 at 11:35.
Old 15th February 2006, 09:07

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Re: Neubiberg and Austria

Steve,

I guess, you know Bernd Barbas' book (which contains most of the available details regarding these Messers).

Regarding the Hungarians: don't forget, that the 101. 'Puma' unit was a Fighter Regiment (Jagdgeschwader). In April, 1945 the three Groups were contracted, bu none of them were officially disbanded.
I guess, all of the other Hungarian Messers were destroyed (except for the few ones, who were flew to Neubiberg by the II./JG 52's pilots). In Raffelding, some were destroyed by the strafing Mustangs in the second half of April, the others were destroyed by the ground crew in early May.

This Messer (WNr. 611943) in your country:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazin...0_fuselage.htm

is the only remained Hungarian Messer (it was flew by the II./JG 52's pilots to Neubiberg, but earlier it was Hungarian, the 101/III. vadászosztály (Gruppe) got the plane on 23. April, 1945.

Regards,