Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd September 2005, 20:29

cbe2009
Night attack on London April 19. 1941

Hello!
I am looking for information on a crewmember and the rest of the crew, who were lost on the above date.
The crewmember was Ofw. Wolfgang Haselsteiner.
If possible, I would like the identity of the plane with codes and maybe the Wnr.

Thanks in advance
Christian
Old 22nd September 2005, 20:40
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Night attack on London April 19. 1940

Are you sure about that date? I show no losses of He 111 or Ju 88 machines that night and The Blitz Now and then says no action was reported that night.
Old 22nd September 2005, 20:50

cbe2009

Thanks for a quick response!
This is very embarrassing and I am sorry!!!!!!!
The year is 1941

Christian
Old 22nd September 2005, 21:02
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Ju 88A-5 , WNr 55151 flown by Burkhart, Ofw. Heinz, 1.KG 76, weisse G, F1+GH, MIA with crew, cause unknown. Sources: Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #3)-Vol.4; Foreman, 1941-TheTurning Point II, p.98.

According to The Blitz Now and Then, Haselsteiner was a crew member. All were killed. A Wealdon Aviation Archeological Group recovery produced a dingy, propellors and other parts.
Old 22nd September 2005, 21:07

cbe2009

Fantastic Sir!

Thank You very much!!!!!
Greetings from Denmark
Christian
Old 23rd September 2005, 12:15
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Hi Christian,
Just to follow on from John's post above, this aircraft i have also,
recorded as having crashlanded at Giebelstadt cause not given, on 7.3.41
suffering 20% damage.
The crew were reported to have all been unhurt, but i have no information as to names. One wonders if your man was flying on this day?

Greetings from a very wet UK!

Regards,
Steve.
Old 23rd September 2005, 12:34

cbe2009

Hi Steve!

Thank You very much for Your information - this is fascinating and the first time, I have heard of an aircraft with more history, than just the final crash.
Have a nice week-end
Christian
Old 23rd September 2005, 12:48
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Hi Christian,

You are very welcome!
May i be bold as to ask your interest in this particular airman, and aircraft?
Do you have any other information on Wolfgang Haselsteiner, or perhaps does anybody else have further info on his operational career.

Rgs,
Steve.
Old 23rd September 2005, 14:46

cbe2009

Hi Steve!

The reason for my interest in this, and numerous other german airmen is, that I have collected LW items for many many years now.
In the reason years I have found it more interesting to study LW rather than the items. An example: I have some Iron crosses with the documents. In the beginning, The EK I or II looked nice on the wall and the documents were put in the draw. Now it is the other way around and I have sold some of the medals and badges and bought books instead.
I started out with interests in the LW Knight Cross winners and collected material on their aeroplanes, autographs etc. etc.
Then I found out about something called "Death cards" (Sterbebilder) and to find out about a man and his last mission is a very interesting thing to research. To have the airmans picture, which often are on the card, gives me a feeling to dig a little deeper in the history.
Sometimes I have the luck to find a picture of the wreck and even his grave, but it is a long process.
I have had some beautiful help on this board and it gives me great pleasure, if I am able to help other with topics to "pay back".
Often I do not post threads, because I am afraid, that other members will be tired of my constant asking.
About Haselsteiner I am afraid, You have had all the informations which are on this card, but the picture of him is very nice. He is wearing his flying suit.
There You have it.
If there is anything, I can assist You with, do not hesitate to let me know.
All the best
Christian
Old 24th September 2005, 02:32
Alter Hase

steve sheridan
Re: Night attack on London April 19. 1941

Christian, what an interesting and fascinating hobby you have.
All to often i read about different aspects of the war itself, and find myself thinking, i wonder if so and so ? and wonder if i can establish more information
regarding pilots and a/c etc.

I have researched airwarfare ,and the losses of both RAF and Luftwaffe a/c and
aircrew ,for over 25 years now . I have a particular interest in the Battle of Britain period, but get a lot of pleasure out of compiling and establishing losses from ww2 in general, and often try to establish more than what maybe available in the various publications and other sources, to be found.
I have researched at places like the Public Records Office in London, and written to fellow enthusiasts, and surviving former aircrew, in my goal to extend my data on their careers and service of a/c, and various squadron operations.
I never fail to be indebted by these brave airman, who gave their lives for their respective countries, and feel it an honour to research and print their
stories and demise, within my archives.
Thank you for telling me about your interest, and i hope ive explained mine to you, so you know what i like. Good luck with your continuing research.
Time i went to bed now!!
Best Regards,
Steve.