Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th November 2022, 12:29

Scharnier is on a distinguished road
Re: Location of place called 'Mittelfüssen' (?), 25 km NW of Düsseldorf (noted in late 1943 Nachtjagd claim)

Hello everyone,

even with a lot of imagination I cannot read "Mittelfüssen" in the OKL/RLM Nachtjagd Abschussmeldungen, especially since such a place does not exist to my knowledge. For me it is 100% certain that Widdeshofen is written there. However, the place is spelled with a "v" instead of "f" and is therefore correctly called: Widdeshoven and is located south-southwest of Düsseldorf. Phonetically, the two letters do not differ significantly in German, but often sound the same.

I would now be interested in the entry in the flight log, where it supposedly says "northwest".

Regards,
Claudia

Old 5th November 2022, 14:18
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Location of place called 'Mittelfüssen' (?), 25 km NW of Düsseldorf (noted in late 1943 Nachtjagd claim)

Claudia -

Did you look at any pre-war Deutsche Karten in 1:100,000 scale or less? So many tiny villages lost their identity after the war and were incorporated into cities they were located close to.

L. deZ.
Old 5th November 2022, 14:57

Scharnier is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry,

why should I look for "Mittelfüssen" in any old maps when "Widdeshofen" is clearly written there? This logic completely eludes me.

Regards,
Claudia
Old 5th November 2022, 15:04
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Sorry, Claudia, but I see Mittelfusen written there and not Widdeshofen. But then, I'm an American; not a German native schooled in Germany. Hopefully, some others will come along and give you better information.

L. deZ.
Old 5th November 2022, 16:27

Rasmussen is on a distinguished road

The first letter is clear a "W" and not a "M" and the 3.+4.letter is an double "d" ... so is it more Widdeshofen und not "Mittelfusen" ....
Old 5th November 2022, 16:48
Alter Hase

Thanks, Rasmussen, I stand corrected.

L.