Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 15th March 2020, 19:39
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Moderator Please Delete This Thread

Hello Moderator,

I feel that this thread has been hijacked and I propose to repost accordingly as it is no longer fit for purpose.

The poster is now on my blocked list.

Currently on ebay there is a photo of a Farman F.234 captioned as belonging to the Armee de l'air at :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Aviation-pho...EAAOSwDkleblD~

As I seem to be having a little good fortune asking questions about obscure french aircraft of the 1939/40 period I'd like to ask two questions:

1. Has anyone any information on the use of this type in 1939/40?
2. What is the significance of the CT-10 marking onthe fuselage?

Regards,

Clint

Last edited by musec04; 16th March 2020 at 06:20. Reason: Thread Hijacked
Old 15th March 2020, 20:19
Alter Hase

Re: Photo Farman F.234

Hello,

Well I've found the answer to the second quesrtion mysef at :

aeroflight.co.uk/tag/france

CT = Corps Techniques

Regards,

Clint
Old 15th March 2020, 21:33
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

I am finding even more complications with French aircraft manufactures, such as:

The Société nationale des constructions aéronautiques du Nord (SNCAN), which was created in 1936 as a nationalized conglomerate of military aircraft manufacturers Potez (Méaulte, in the Somme), Amiot (Caudebec-en-Caux) and Bréguet (Le Havre) (all three in eastern Normandy), and also CAMS (Sartrouville) and A.N.F. Les Mureaux (Les Mureaux) (in the western suburbs of Paris).

It is worth noting that given the agglomeration of all those companies into state-controlled entities, some level of synergy between them might have led to new aircraft borrowing elements from one another (say, fuselage design a la Potez, fuselage structure a la CAMS), making it more difficult to trace one particular "house style" to the design. However, no aircraft were labeled "SNCAN" as such, and they continued to be called Potez, Bréguet, etc.

Of course, the SNCAO (Société nationale des constructions aéronautiques de l'Ouest) connection cannot be excluded, especially since Loire-Nieuport had facilities both on the seaside at Saint-Nazaire AND at Issy-les-Moulineaux, just outside Paris (while the Bréguet part of it was in Bouguennais, on the seaside too, not far from Saint-Nazaire). By 1941, SNCAO had become part of SNCASO (based in Bordeaux and Rochefort), which also fell under German control. Besides, it is worth noticing that not all CAO designations, used from 1937 on, are accounted for yet.
Old 15th March 2020, 22:56
Alter Hase

Continued from above:

SNCAC, the Société Nationale de Constructions Aéronautiques du Centre, sometimes known as Aérocentre, was a French aircraft manufacturer created by the nationalisation of the Farman Aviation Works and Hanriot firms in 1936.

So SNCAC designations were like this:

NC 2230 (formerly the Farman F.223)
NC 2231 (formerly the Farman F.223.1) long-distance bomber/mail plane prototype used for distance record-breaking
NC 2233 (formerly the Farman F.223.3) night bomber (10 built)
NC 2234 (formerly the Farman F.223.4) trans-Atlantic mail plane (3 built)

I have found no NC designation for the Farman F.234 but there is a reference in "Les Avions Farman" by Jean Liron (out of print). In a list, there is Farman F. 234 with a code of F-ALHF and a date of 1931, with 16 built.
Old 15th March 2020, 23:38
Alter Hase

Ed,

Beyond the fact that all were manufactured by Farman, the aircraft you list are unrelated to the Farman F.230 series, of which the Farman F.234 was one member. For your information the F.230 family can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farman_F.230

Regards,

Clint
Old 15th March 2020, 23:57
Alter Hase

Clint,

Thanks. I am not familiar with French aircraft and their manufacturers. I decided to post the various consolidations for reference for the benefit of all reading.

Best,
Ed
Old 16th March 2020, 13:47

rof120 is on a distinguished road
"Not familiar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
Clint,

Thanks. I am not familiar with French aircraft and their manufacturers. I decided to post the various consolidations for reference for the benefit of all reading.

Best,
Ed
Ha, that's a laugh. With all due respect I dare contradict you, Sir (as you know I am a very brave hero). "Not familiar"? You know a lot more on this than most French people including myself, even if you just found the details in some documents and the like. So please allow me to congratulate you.

Here are just a few SMALL corrections which don't change anything in what I just wrote above:

"The Société nationale des constructions aéronautiques……"

There was a number of similar "nationalised" names but with "de" instead of "des".

Breguet has no accent (not Bréguet). Most French people make this error.

"...at Issy-les-Moulineaux, just outside Paris"

- Correct. It's a direct neighbour of the city of Paris (SW boundary); Issy is like a continuation of SW Paris. I lived there for some time when I was a student.

Bouguenais has only one N.

You see, all this is really not serious, you need not be scared by a possible French revenge.

Last edited by rof120; 16th March 2020 at 15:17.