Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

View Poll Results: Would you buy an English edition of the new JG 2 Unit History?
Yes, I would even pre-pay the English edition 27 20.77%
Yes, I would even pre-order the English edition 27 20.77%
Yes, I would buy the English edition. 71 54.62%
Yes, but I would buy a French or German edition if need be. 12 9.23%
I have no preference for English over French or German 6 4.62%
I would prefer a German language edition. 8 6.15%
None of the above options will do, but .... (post your comment) 7 5.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd April 2008, 09:20

stefaan
Re: A new JG 26 Chronicle?

Hi Eric.
I would like my penny's worth, from S Africa.
We have a similar problem in deciding to publish in Afrikaaans, a major language in our aviation fanatics.
Some guys have tried and came short, even had to close down.
I agree, English is THE international language.
If you put all your money into English publications the investment into the books has got a far better return.
There are very few people in SA that can speak French, but a large Luftwaffe following in SA.To date they won't buy many French books.
French is almost never taught in our schools.
Regarding other ways of publishing??
A book in the hand is best but if you have to sell an electronic version that one can load on one of those new e readers thingies, it is acceptable.
It is then still available as reference.
Good luck with your books.
Stefaan
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:08

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Mombeeck View Post
I’ll take my decision in April and let you know. In all cases, the vol. 1 is already translated by Neil.
Best regards
Erik
As are both volumes of the JG 4 history. As an interested party forgive me for butting in - I'm biased but managing with a dictionary is all very well for extracting the data but it's not quite as 'memorable' as reading a good first hand account. And there are loads of those in these volumes...

Extract from Vol II JG 4 (apologies if you've already seen this..)
http://members.aol.com/kaczmarek190/scheufele.html

I think there is a 'problem' with big 'multi-lingual' unit histories - we've seen that with the unfinished JG 3 series. I haven't discussed this with Erik ..but should he decide not to proceed with an English language edition in his usual format then perhaps he might consider another - I wouldn't be unhappy if it/they appeared in pdf format - at least then purchasers of the French/German editions don't lose out. Surely it should be possible to produce them in some form or another...(eg Don's JG 26 appeared as a 'mass-market' paperback in its later incarnations)

Last edited by FalkeEins; 3rd April 2008 at 14:23.
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:19
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Did you find that the "while stoned" bit helped more than the dictionary?
Don't think the professor appreciated me answering him in French actually...
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:31
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Gents
The quality of digital print moved so far that there is no difference with traditional methods. It is slightly more expensive, but still affordable and much more economical with small printing runs. If a translation can be obtained, then any language version could be easily published, and shipping costs reduced as well.
Concerning Pdf file, it is not very practical, as the one must print it out anyway - it is quite hard to read a book on PC - I know I have tried. Also, illegal copies will be appearing around, and if it is a commercial project, then the one must have it in mind.
I will not buy the French version, ideal for me would be English with an appendix with accounts in original, unedited German version.
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:41
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Not to mention that the author(s) still probably have to pay for a professional translator at some point unless they themselves are fluent in that 'other' language.
Old 4th April 2008, 12:26

Erik Mombeeck is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Many thanks for these helpful and numerous reactions.

Just in order to have an idea of a figure, may I ask to all of yours who plan to purchase the volume 1 of the JG 2 chronicle to send me a short notice at : erik.mombeeck/a/telenet.be (replace /a/ with @)... telling where you are and in which titles (JG 2, JG 4, JG 26) you would be interested.
I would keep you informed in April of the decision or not to start the English versions of the JG 2 and JG 4 (very detailed) chronicles, and eventually contact you personally in due time (next late summer ?) to explain how to acquire the book(s).

Thanks in advance and also for your replies.

Erik

Last edited by Erik Mombeeck; 4th April 2008 at 14:01.
Old 4th April 2008, 18:15

Horst Kube

[quote=Erik Mombeeck;63117]Hi,

I would keep you informed in April of the decision or not to start the English versions of the JG 2 and JG 4 (very detailed) chronicles, and eventually contact you personally in due time (next late summer ?) to explain how to acquire the book(s).

Dear Eric,

I would be very interested to listen to your statement, if - and if yes, when and in which language your postponed JG 5 Vol. III will be on the market.

Cheers, Horst
Old 5th April 2008, 04:10

Tom Semenza

Eric,

With all due respect to the beautiful French language, it seems quite obvious to most of us that the market for English language publications is much greater than for either French of German. I know German rather better than French and I have all of your volumes of the histories of JG 4 and JG 5 in German. I would welcome the 3rd volume of JG 5 in any language (well almost.) Since these books are a labor of love rather than a for profit operation, you should be able to find some enthusiast who is fluent enough in both French and English to translate your works without incurring a fee.

Best Wishes,

Tom
Old 5th April 2008, 11:20
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Added a Poll.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 5th April 2008, 11:38

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Semenza View Post
you should be able to find some enthusiast who is fluent enough in both French and English
Finding a competent (& cheap) translator wasn't the problem. Both JG 4 volumes and the first JG 2 volume are already translated, proofed and corrected. The difficulty is more the economics of self publishing. The situation is Catch 22. Erik ideally wants to publish in French, his & J-L Roba's first language. However the French market for Luftwaffe books, compared to, say, the Japanese & North American is pretty small. Most of us here would ideally like to read his works in English. However decent sales of the French edition will probably have some impact on English language sales. (Lorant's JG 300 books have sold over 2,000 copies each in the French editions). One major Luftwaffe publisher told me there are only some 3,000 book-buying Luftwaffe enthusiasts worldwide. Erik probably needs 500 sales to recoup his costs. Obviously producing two editions for correspondingly lower sales is a big risk for a self publisher.

Last edited by FalkeEins; 5th April 2008 at 12:25.