Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th August 2017, 15:52
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Crawford-Compton at ITS

I found a post where the writer states he met Bill Crawford-Compton at 15 ITS where they flew Harvards in early 1940, and that this was in Oxfordshire. In trying to find this formation I have come across a number of possible units but no 15 ITS. 15 EFTS (or FTS?) Kidlington appears to be a possibility.

It fits in so far as if he was flying Harvards he was in the second stage of his flight training after initial training in Tiger Moths or the equivalent, and 15 FTS wasn't in Oxfordshire until the middle of 1940. From there it seems he joined 15 Course of 57 OTU in December (?) 1940.

The fit for 15 FTS seems to parallel a number of fellow Sergeant pilots of this period.

Can anyone confirm any of my suppositions?

regards

Keith