Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th April 2024, 17:53

RodM is on a distinguished road
LW Files Missing from the Bundesarchiv?

Greetings one and all,

this is just a general query to see if anyone has further insight on captured Luftwaffe files that are either missing from or not catalogued with BArch/MA.

Here are two examples:

1. Kriegstagebuch No. 2, OKL.Gen.Nafüe.3.Abt, 1944-1945

TICOM Report TICOM/D-4, dated 13 July 1945, discusses the Anlagen (Appendices) to this KTB, especially Anlagenband A 1.

However, the only available files at Bundesarchiv are:

BArch RL 2-V/27
Kriegstagebuch (unvollständig) 5. Sept 1944 - 17. März 1945
https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/inve...-bf16e4fac269/

BArch RL 2-V/28 & 29
Anlagen zum Kriegstagebuch: Bd. 1 & 2: Anlagenband A 2
https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/inve...-fa2b8ec9a3ba/

BArch RL 2-V/30
Anlagen zum Kriegstagebuch: Bd. 3: Anlagenband A 3 (Stördienst)
https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/inve...-4167e541b4da/

Anlagenband A 1, mentioned in the TICOM report isn't to be found. I guess there is a possibility this file was not returned to Germany, given the nature of its contents (the Horchdienst - Signals Intelligence operations against the Allied Air Forces).

2. Lw.Genst.Gen.Qu.6.Abt., Feindliche Einflüge in Reich.- Anzahl, Abschüsse, eigener Einsatz und Verluste, Feb - März 1945

An ADI(K)/USAFE paper published between 1945-49 (see TNA AIR 20/1195) contains statistics transcribed from captured files of the Lw.Genst.Gen.Qu.6.Abt. The original files related to statistics for the periods October 1943 - October 1944 and February - April 1945. Both files tabulated the statistics in the same manner.

However, only one of the two files is listed at Bundesarchiv:

BArch RL 2-III/1279
Feindliche Einflüge in Reich.- Anzahl, Abschüsse, eigener Einsatz und Verluste, Okt 1943 - Okt 1944
https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/inve...-0dcf348932d9/

Does anyone have any insight as to why files might be missing from BArch - missing before transfer back to Germany? Not transferred? Not yet catalogued by BArch? TIA.
Old 5th April 2024, 20:41
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: LW Files Missing from the Bundesarchiv?

Horchdienst

Just a guess, but the USAFSS did gather up the captured Luftwaffe Sigint files to write the following:
Seabourne Reports (Top Secret postwar USAFSS multi-volume study of Luftwaffe signals intelligence).

These reports and related files were available at AFHRA Maxwell AFB, Montgomery/Alabama until about 10-15 years ago at which time they were seized by Electronic Security Command/25th Air Force and taken to San Antonio/Texas, or so I was told by AFHRA staff.

L. deZ.
Old 6th April 2024, 00:03
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

The NSA released information in 2009 about this. The Army Security Agency prepared this material in 1946. I hope it's helpful here.

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Jul/1...1_SYNOPSIS.PDF
Old 6th April 2024, 09:53

Hi Larry and Ed,

thanks for the replies. Yes, I have a copy of the Seabourne Report and other related surveys.

The Archive Archive has a huge tranche of reports:

https://archive.org/details/ticom/TicomI-109/

Larry, did AFHRA have original German files or microfilmed copies of such files?

Given the nature of the NSA material declassified beginning in 2009, I cannot see what would now be in the original A 1 appendices to warrant continued classification and retention outside of BArch. TICOM D-4 makes clear the A 1 Appendices related to standard signals intelligence and nothing related to more sensitive cryptoanalysis.

Cheers

Rod
Old 6th April 2024, 12:52

Darius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodM View Post
Hi Larry and Ed,
The Archive Archive has a huge tranche of reports:

https://archive.org/details/ticom/TicomI-109/
Thank you for this link.

Regards

Darius
Old 6th April 2024, 17:42
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Rod wrote:
Quote:
Larry, did AFHRA have original German files or microfilmed copies of such files?
Good question. I don't know, Rod, as they only pulled paper copies of the reports for me. If I had to guess, I would say they did not have the original German documents and files. I went through a lot of material at AFHRA during 7 visits in the 1980's and 1990's and came across an original document only once, I think.

L. deZ.
Old 7th April 2024, 02:42
Alter Hase

Hi Rod,

I hope you don't mind my asking, but can you identify this "more sensitive cryptoanalysis"?
Old 7th April 2024, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
Hi Rod,

I hope you don't mind my asking, but can you identify this "more sensitive cryptoanalysis"?
That would be German attempts to break into machine-encrypted military and civilian communications and German machine-encryption technology, as opposed to more 'routine' signal intelligence and traffic analysis.

TICOM Report D-4 refers to the KTB A 1 Anlagen thus: "...contains nothing on cryptoanalysis and little of interest to TICOM." The report does, however, detail some of the A 1 appendices worthy of translation and further evaluation.

BArch RL 2-V/27 contains an incomplete index to the missing KTB A 1 Anlagen.
Old 7th April 2024, 19:38
Alter Hase

Thank you Rod.