Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 30th September 2023, 12:41

George 118 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sqn Ldr Mike Wight-Boycott, 219 Sqn

His father was Captain Augustus Charles Hubert Wight-Boycott (Area Commander of Somerset Special Constabulary) ?

Also his B.A. from Clare College, Cambridge was in mathematics ?
Old 1st October 2023, 09:11
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Do you want me to ask the famiily?
Old 1st October 2023, 11:20

George 118 is on a distinguished road

Yes if you can
Also i find this
https://www.staybehinds.com/augustus...-wight-boycott
Old 4th October 2023, 10:14
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

From Andy W-B:
Yes my grandfather was a "special" and I have his truncheon. His story is complicated, and his full name concludes as Boycott Wight-Boycott another story! At some time before the first war he had a Lanchester car franchise. The story goes that while hand cranking the engine started and either wound his tie down to crack his head or the car ran over him. Either way he ended up with a metal plate in his head which precluded front line service - truly humiliating for a man of his standing. In WW2 he was a special and involved in the nascent resistance. I have heard that the driving force in this outfit was my grandmother. A lady of steel abandoned by her eccentric mother to bring up her younger siblings with little help from her father at Odell Castle. Her abiding passion was fox hunting - in contrast to her husband's Otter hunting. In the same theme their youngest son, my uncle Vere Captain RN OBE DSC, was the master of the Britannia Beagles at Dartmouth.
I do not know what Dad studied at Cambridge apart from flying with the UAS. Mathematics seems unlikely to me.