Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th November 2005, 03:54

Tom D
Walter Schuck's Jet Victories.

From a couple of sources I have, like "German Jet Aces of World War 2," (Osprey), Walter Schuck is given credit for eight victories while flying the Me 262. I have a friend who keeps insisteing that his sources indicate that Schuck had about 30 victories. His principle source is "Horrido," by Constable & Toiliver, page 291 :

"Schuck is believed to have numerous additional jet kills - some German sources estimating his tally as high as thirty unconfirmed victories."

I personally do not believe the 30 number. Does anyone have a good source that can settle this? My friend does not give up easily, and requires a creditable source. Can anyone settle this?

Tom D
Old 4th November 2005, 04:53

Black baron is on a distinguished road
Re: Walter Schuck's Jet Victories.

You friend has no argument. He hasn't insisted 30 is accurate. He has only mentioned what was printed in the books.
Old 4th November 2005, 06:11

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

I think it's likely that the high-scorer on jets was Kurt Welter.
Old 4th November 2005, 11:35

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road

I can recommend you Christer Bergsröm's forthcoming project regarding Walter Schuck - I am sure, that you will find the exact answer (exactly from Herr Schuck).
Old 4th November 2005, 19:11

Tom D

Csaba,

Thank you for your suggestion. I was hoping Mr. Bergsrom would respond through this forum. Regardless, I just sent him an email requesting the information.

Tom D