Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th October 2009, 23:20

Alistair Taylor is on a distinguished road
Identifying 3 Luftwaffe Losses

Hi,
This is my first posting, I have a few RAF log books and have several claims that tie back to them, I'm hoping its possible to identify the Aircrew/Units they relate to.

16/17 June 1943 over Koln, an FW190 - this one is engaged on run in to target but not neccesarily hit so not expecting much

21/22 June 1944 on the way to Wesselring a JU88 this was seen falling away in flames, unforyunately I'm not sure how far into the flight this was so cant narrow down an area of loss.

29/30 August 1944 over Konigsberg, an DO217, again an attack during the run in, the DO217 broke off and about a minute later an explosion was seen that was assumed to be it hitting the water (they were also attacked by an ME210 at the same time but it peeled off before it was engaged)

Thanks in advance

Alistair
Old 29th October 2009, 12:12
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Identifying 3 Luftwaffe Losses

I am afraid that nothing matches with your claims. There were a number of Ju 88s lost 21-22 Jun 44 to intruders but to match these to an imprecise location is hard
Old 29th October 2009, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
I am afraid that nothing matches with your claims. There were a number of Ju 88s lost 21-22 Jun 44 to intruders but to match these to an imprecise location is hard
Hi Chris,
Thanks for checking for me, I've been trying to narrow down the location but am struggling a bit - they left East Kirkby and were in the air for 4 hours 17 minutes before abandoning back over Henlow - but they nursed a badly damaged plane back (its wasnt a one sided shootout) so probably a slow return. Looking at speeds and things doesnt really help much - it could pretty much have been anywhere between the Hague and Wesseling.

One account refers to the JU88 using Schrage Musik, not sure if that narrows down units.

Thanks again

Alistair
Old 30th October 2009, 17:39

Delmenhorst is on a distinguished road

I don't think that the combat over Königsberg was with a Do 217.
Old 17th December 2009, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
I've managed a bit more info on this, from the Lancaster crews info they were attacked (and returned fire) at 01.18 and location is given as 51.15 05.18 which I think is around Lommel in Belgium (seems reasonable for their route) - the JU88 apparently broke off with the starboard engine burning. Have tried looking at the Luftwaffe claims record in case the pilot bailed out or managed to land safely and made his claim, but couldnt quite tie anything in - wasnt sure if RAF and Luftwaffe times would be the same or not.

Delmenhorst, I need to have a look back and check the info I have to see if I have misread on the Do217 on the other one.

Thanks

Alistair