Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 6th March 2024, 19:45
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
Smile Commandant Andre Durieux GCII/7

I know this officer led GCII/7 and was involved in some sort of parachute training exercise in the USSR in 1935, but despite leading GCII/7 until replaced in 1942 I have no knowledge of him. Once again, my friends "J'aimerais savoir la carrière" apologies for my very poor French but I think past responses from forumites are very distinctly those who are willing to indulge my attempts to investigate the French air forces in WW2. My phrase is not difficult to translate, I am looking for details of the career of Andre Durieux.

For rugby fans I would say we (Scotland - L'Ecosse suprême) did beat you in the last match. The referee was obviously bribed with Camembert, Cassis and free tickets to the "Moulin Rouge". If you don't beat the English in a week or so then we are looking at the Agincourt argument again. Turning up in cool kit (Boucicault) is not the same as facing a country that thinks wearing tracksuits 24/7 is the height of fashion and mangling the English language like they are grinding the last vestiges of life out of a dying ferret. I'm an Edinburgh Scot and we all know that's the equivalent of coming from Glasgow...

A bas les Anglais, and... Durieux?

Keith
Old 7th March 2024, 14:13
Alter Hase

Re: Commandant Andre Durieux GCII/7

Found my answer

DURIEUX, André, né le 4 septembre 1904 à Annecy. André Durieux entre à l'Ecole de Saint Cyr en 1922. Après diverses affectations, il est nommé Capitaine en 1932, et commande une escadrille au Groupe de chasse II/7. Après un stage de parachutisme en URSS en 1933, il obtient le brevet de moniteur chef. Au cours de la Campagne de France en 1939/1940, il assure le commandement du Groupe de Chasse II/7.Placé en congé d'armistice en 1942, il retrouve son groupe à Dijon en 1944. Nommé Lieutenant-Colonel au Commandement des Forces Aériennes en Indochine, il rentre en France en 1947 et quitte le service en tant que Colonel. Officier de la Légion d'Honneur, Croix de Guerre 1939/1945 avec étoile de vermeil, André Durieux, à l'âge de 97 ans, trouve la mort dans un accident de rue à Paris le 31 mars 2001, et repose dans le cimetière de Verteillac
(Dordogne).

He claimed one victory during the Battle of France 11 May 1940. I am not sure whether it was confirmed or not Cieldegloire has it as a "probable" but other sites have it confirmed.
Old 7th March 2024, 15:59
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I know Verteillac well and will be driving through it in May if you need a photo
Old 8th March 2024, 08:48
Alter Hase

focusfocus is on a distinguished road

Yes,his claim was confirmed( 9/KG51),but shared with
15 others pilots!!!! (Capt Hugo,S/Lt Valentin,S/Lt Pomier-Layrargues....etc,etc)

Michel
Old 9th March 2024, 13:38
Alter Hase

Many thanks chaps, I found something interesting when reading my copy of the Porret/Thevenet "As de la Guerre". Apparently Durieux was held in high regard by his pilots but was replaced by a pilot with "pronounced pro-German sympathies". I assume this was Dumouchel de Primare who does not appear in any of my sources on the Battle of France. I wonder if he was promoted to the command because he had not taken part in the battle and was considered a safe pair of hands.

K