Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st June 2005, 00:13

pointedeflèche is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe crash, 18th of May 1940, Belgium

Has anyone got information on a Luftwaffe bomber that crashed in Everberg, a Belgian village situated between the city of Brussels and the town of Leuven (Löwen, Louvain). The incident (probably) took place on the 18th of May 1940. This unidentified Luftwaffe bomber was chased by two fighters (probably British) and shot down. One German airmen was killed during the incident and was buried in the field where the bomber crashlanded. Any information regarding this incident or information on Luftwaffe bomber losses that day near Brussels or Leuven (Löwen, Louvain) would be most appreciated.
Old 21st June 2005, 20:59

Luc Vervoort is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi !

On page 230 of " Twelve days in May " by Brian Cull and Bruce Lander with Heinrich Weiss is mentioned :

He111P of 2/KG4 (5J+IK) flown by Lt Helmut Zeiss shot down by 4 Hurricanes west of Brussels and crashed 6 miles n-e of Louvain, pilot survived,crew killed.
He111P of 5/KG4 flown by Stappelkapitän Hptm Kurt Leythaüser shot down s-e of Brussels and crash-landed 6 m west of Louvain, crew survived,two wounded.
He111P of 5/KG4 flown by Lt Hoepel shot down near Brussels and crash-landed near Beauvechain, 6 m s-w of Tirlemont, one killed, one wounded
He111P of 5/KG4 5% damaged in combat near Brussels, one crew member killed.

Best regards

Luc
Old 23rd June 2005, 21:57

Re: Luftwaffe crash, 18th of May 1940, Belgium

Hello Luc,

Thank you very much for the information.

It seems that Staffelkapitän Hptm Kurt Leythäuser's Heinkel-111 is a plausible candidate for the crashlanding in Everberg. Six miles west of Leuven (Löwen, Louvain) corresponds perfectly with the spot where the Everberg crash-landing occured, except for the fact that in Everberg one German airman was killed and according to the source you mentioned Leythäuser's crew was safe. The Heinkel-111 came from the south before crashlanding on it's belly. According to the villagers the bomber was a He-111. It appears that Kampfgeschwader 4 was intercepted that day over Brussels by a composite flight of Hurricanes of 145 Squadron and 601 Squadron.

Any additional information regarding German losses near Brussels or Leuven (Löwen Louvain) during the month of May 1940 or information regarding Kampfgeschwader 4 and Staffelkapitän Hptm Leythäuser is most welcome.

Old 26th June 2005, 12:12

Hi !

Another part of the puzzle ??

Found in my archives :
Schorr Karl (born 25/12/1913) killed at Everberg 18/05/1940, buried at Leuven, transferred to the German War Cemetery at Lommel and presently buried in grave BL.46 GR.637.
I have not been able to find to which plane he belonged or how the link between this person and Everberg was made.

Best regards

Luc
Old 30th June 2005, 22:58

Hello Luc,

Thanks for the information!

I consulted the archives of Leuven and found a name list of German soldiers buried at Leuven during WWII. Unfortunately no Karl Schorr is listed, only a certain Karl Schon who died 15 May 1940 and was with II.K.G.IV ( II. Gruppe, Kampfgeschader 4 ? ). Strange coincidence!

My guess is Schon and Schorr are one and the same person. Karl Schorr's name and date of death could have been wrongly registered at Leuven. The situation was perhaps clearified after the war during his reburial at the German War Cemetery in Lommel.

Regards,

Dirk

Old 2nd July 2005, 08:40

Dirk,

Are there any other Germans mentioned on the burial listings for Leuven ?
If you prefer you can always contact me via af9th(at)yahoo.co.uk.

Best regards from rainy Antwerpen...

Luc
Old 3rd July 2005, 10:12

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road

Oberfw Karl SCHORR (b.25.12.1913) was Bordmechanic aboard the He111 5J+HN flown by Hptmn Kurt LEYTHAESER (Staffelkapitan) of 5./KG4 that crashed 9 km west of Leuven, near Vrebos, on 18 May 1940. He was originally buried 200 metres east of the crash site. There is no doubt this was the aircraft reported down at Everberg that day. No trace of any Karl SCHON in the unit records so probably a transcription error.
Old 3rd July 2005, 17:50

Peter T is on a distinguished road

In May 1996, I met Kurt Leythauser. He gave me the following account of the crash.

We took off from Gütersloh around 04.00 p.m. for a raid against the railroadjunction in Fenain (France). On the way back we were attacked by Hurricanes in the Brussels area. My “Staffel” split up and I continued with my “Kette”. Shortly afterwards the Hurricanes renewed the attack. They concentrated their fire on my HN. The plane was badly hit and it was almost impossible to keep it in hand. My “Bordfunker”, Uffz. Oskar Noetzelmann was hit and died almost immediately. The “Bordmechaniker” Ofw. Karl Schorr was also badly hit, but was still alive. We were losing height fast and I decided to make a bellylanding in a field near Louvain. All went well. The observer and I were only slightly wounded and we managed to climb out of the wreck. We also evacuated our comrade Schorr, who was still alive. The Hurricanes continued to shoot on the plane, and we were forced to hide with our wounded friend in a small wood. There we met to our surprise German troops. They took us to a first aid post and gave us a car. Ofw. Schorr was in very bad shape. We could not transport him and he died soon afterwards.
Old 3rd July 2005, 22:20

Hello Peter Cornwell and Peter T,

Many many thanks for the information and the reminiscenses of Kurt Leythäuser!

The Heinkel-111 crashed indeed at the hamlet of Vrebos and more specifically at the southern edge of a small wood named "Kinderenbos". I assume this is the wood the airmen were hidding in.

The list of German soldiers buried at Leuven (Louvain) also mentions the name of Oscar Notzelmann assigned with M.K.G. 4 and died the 18th of May 1940. (I have no idea what the M stands for). Any additional information such as the name of the observer would be most appreciated.

Best Regards,

Dirk
Old 3rd July 2005, 23:45

Peter T is on a distinguished road

Hello Dirk,

The Verlustmeldung from the Wast in Berlin does not give the name of the observer. Leythauser however remembered; the observer was Lt. Carl Nützel.