Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 31st December 2008, 22:39

Rabe Anton
JG 2 Vol. II - Mombeek/Roba

Mombeek, Erik, and Roba, Jean-Louis. Dans le ciel de France: Histoire de la JG 2 "Richthofen" [In the Skies of France: The History of JG 2 Richthofen]. Vol. II: 1941. Linkebeek, Belgium: by the authors, 2008. 253 pp., illus., vinyl boards, A4.

This title represents the second volume in a series of perhaps five that will narrate the history of the JG 2 Richthofen. This volume covers calendar year 1941; the previous volume covering unit formation through 1940 appeared in 1940.

For readers possessing Vol. I, a description of Vol. II is simple and direct: it is a seamless and uniform continuation of its predecessor but dealing with the history of JG 2's operations in northwestern France during calendar year 1941.
For those not owing Vol. I but others of Mombeek and Roba's unit histories, the similarity remains valid: this JG 2 history generally resembles Mombeek's Sturmjäger (JG 4) and Eismeer (JG 5).

The above means that a reader will find a treasure of hitherto unpublished photographs numbering in the hundreds illustrating aircraft, scenes, and personalities combined with a carefully researched text that draws heavily on the author's accumulations of private documentation such as Flugbücher and interviews over the past 20 or so years. In effect, here one can only note one or two examples such as the overall photo of the Bf 109F-2 we. 7 + marked with 17 victories as flown by the up-and-coming Ltn. Egon Mayer at about 12 July 1941 (p. 108). Although about 50 percent of the images are of aircraft, some other very interesting subjects are included, not least an intriguing photo on p. 121 of the Scharnhorst in dry dock in Brest, in the open and appearing very exposed to the most elementary air reconnaissance or attack.

Noteworthy features of the book include a high standard of design and production; though a self-published effort, the JG 2 history is nicely formatted and the lithography excellent. A helpful index of names is included, along with a list of RAF units mentioned in the text with page references. Eight pages of world-class color profiles by Thierry Dekker are included, along with a list of losses (losses, accidents, and damaged machines) consolidated in one appendix.

All in all, this volume represents yet one more year in the best coverage of JG 2 yet to appear. Overall an excellent and invaluable work, unavoidably limited only by its French text throughout. The language choice is sound, reasonable, and understandable for the European market, but may cause some hesitancy for less linguistically capable U.S. readers. An English translation is underway, but it may be a very long time before it appears—English-only readers might well be advised to overcome their anxiety and buy this French version while it is available. Thank you and congratulations, Erik and Jean-Louis, for what you have done here.

RA

Last edited by Rabe Anton; 31st December 2008 at 22:44. Reason: Format Correction
Old 1st January 2009, 18:03

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough
Re: JG 2 Vol. II - Mombeek/Roba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabe Anton View Post
An English translation is underway, but it may be a very long time before it appears—English-only readers might well be advised to overcome their anxiety and buy this French version while it is available.
Agreed, I suggested as much on the LEMB. In the current climate everything is rather up in the air...

Elsewhere a sample of Vol I (English) is en route from the printers, so the first English-language volume of this series might reasonably be expected to become available during 2009.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:23
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabe Anton View Post
The language choice is sound, reasonable, and understandable for the European market, but may cause some hesitancy for less linguistically capable U.S. readers.
I wonder how the choice of French can be "sound, reasonable and understandable" for the European book market? If the number of Europeans with decent command of French is compared with the number of Europeans with decent command of English, the advantage is huge for the latter group.
Old 5th January 2009, 23:01

robert_schulte is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
I wonder how the choice of French can be "sound, reasonable and understandable" for the European book market? If the number of Europeans with decent command of French is compared with the number of Europeans with decent command of English, the advantage is huge for the latter group.
This is the first time in a long term, that I am in compliance with Jukka's comment. Although I had to choose French (as a must at school) as foreign language, my understanding of the French language is close to nil. I guess my understanding of the English language must be lightyears better!
Old 15th January 2009, 09:08

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_schulte View Post
Although I had to choose French (as a must at school) as foreign language, my understanding of the French language is close to nil.
I'm also French-impaired, so I made sure to reserve my copies of the English editions of JG 2 vol.1 and JG 4 vol.1 now.

According to the "What's New?" page on Erik Mombeeck's website (http://www.luftwaffe.be), they'll be published in a low print run in March, so don't snooze.

Leon Venter
Old 15th January 2009, 18:15

Flupke is on a distinguished road

hello
I recently met Erik and could see the sample of the JG 2 book in English. It is great. I immediately reserved my copy (together with the JG 4 one).
Regards Phil
Old 18th January 2009, 16:51

Erik Mombeeck is on a distinguished road

Hello,

thanks a lot to Jim who wrote a very nice review of JG 2 vol. 2. I'm very happy that he found much to enjoy in our latest work.
I should say that of the 20 or so books I've published this volume is one of the best printed ever. Thierry Dekker, the profile artwork artist (who I think is one of the very best), said that he had never seen his profiles so well reproduced.

This is maybe one of the reasons - along with the photo & text content - why this title has been awarded "coup de coeur de l'année" which is fairly significant in the French- speaking aviation enthusiasts' world.

Regarding the other points here, yes, the French market remains very small and does not attract great sales. So, I have followed your advice and will soon be knocking on the big door of the English speaking world...

As you can see on www.luftwaffe.be, the English editions of JG 2 (Vol 1) and JG 4 (Vol 1) are planned for March 2009...

I hope these will enjoy a wider readership.

Best regards

Erik

Last edited by Erik Mombeeck; 19th January 2009 at 00:23.