Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th April 2008, 00:13
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
I./ZG26 Victory List for 1940

Hello,

For those of us working on an accurate and complete victory claims list for ZG units for the 1939-40 period, one of our big problems has always been Stab, I. and II./ZG 26. Having acquired last August the Weiss collection that contained some information on this subject, I've been continuing to work on the missing ZG26 data with other researchers. I now feel like we have pretty close to a state-of-the art data base on the subject of ZG victory claims during 1939-1940. Not complete, but far advanced over anything published to date on the subject. Further work needs to be done, but at this point I thought that I'd share with the board readers what I believe to be accurate information on the top scorers for I. and II./ZG26 during 1940.

I./ZG26 (9 "aces"): 1) Hptm. Wilhelm Makrocki Stab I. 9 vict. RK 6.10.40; 2) Oblt. Wilhelm Spies, 1 Staffel 9 vict. RK 14.6.41; 3) Lt. Walter Manhart 3 Staffel 7 vict No RK (see note below); 4) Oblt. Hans-Jürgen Kirchoff 3 Staffel 7 vict No RK; 5) Oblt. Günther Specht Stab I. 6 vict RK 8.4.44; 6) Oblt. Johannes Kogler 1 Staffel 5 vict No RK; 7) Lt. Werner Thierfelder, Stab I. 5 vict RK 10.10.41; 8) Oblt. Johannes Kiel 3 Staffel 5 vict RK 18.3.42; 9) Oblt. Edward Meyer 1 Staffel 5 vict RK 20.12.41.

II./ZG26 (6 "aces"): 1) Lt. Walter Manhart 6 Staffel 13 vict NO RK (see note below); 2) Oblt. Theodor Rossiwall 5 Staffel 7 vict RK 6.8.41; 3) Obfw. Karl Herzog 6 Staffel 6 vict. No RK; 4) Oblt. Walter Henken Stab II. 5 vict. No RK; 5) Obfw. Kurt Rochel 5 Staffel 5 vict No RK; 6) Oblt. Arthur Niebuhr 4 Staffel 5 vict No RK.

Notes. 1) Only one member of I. or II./ZG26 received the RK during 1940, Makrocki, the I. Gr. Kdr.
2) Manhart served in both 3 and 6 Staffels of ZG26 during 1940, so he appears on both lists.

This kind of data points out the huge disparity between the scores of the day fighters (Bf109s) and the Zerstörer units which struggled mightily during the BoB.

It should be noted that the victory list for III./ZG26 has long been available on a related website, so I'm not reiterating that information.

After considerable research on this subject, fair to good data now exists for the "difficult" ZG units in 1940, whose records were destroyed during the war, and for which no official victory lists are known. These units, which include 14.(Z)/LG1, II./ZG1, Stab, I.& II./ZG2, Stab, I. & II. ZG26, I./ZG52 and III./ZG76, have had to be reconstructed from other data, such as FB, personal diaries and records, aircraft scoreboards and other fragmentary sources. If anyone has information about any surviving victory data from these units, I would very much appreciate hearing from you. I hope that by publishing this info, it stimulates some people perhaps holding additional pieces of this puzzle, however small, to come forward and contribute.

Thanx,
Old 7th April 2008, 15:53

Boris Ciglic is on a distinguished road
Re: I./ZG26 Victory List for 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hickey View Post

It should be noted that the victory list for III./ZG26 has long been available on a related website, so I'm not reiterating that information.
Hi Larry, could you provide that link?

Cheers
Boris
Old 7th April 2008, 17:11
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Boris,

That is the Michael Holms website.

Regards,
Old 7th April 2008, 17:52

B.F.M. Droog is on a distinguished road

Hello Larry,

Could that be: www.ww2.dk/air/zerstorer/zg26.htm ?

Regards,

Bart
Old 15th June 2010, 22:56
Alter Hase

Evgeny Velichko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Ciglic View Post
Hi Larry, could you provide that link?

Cheers
Boris
Boris:

http://reibert.info/forum/attachment...5&d=1275366106

Here is Claimlist for III./ZG26, first 250 victories of Gruppe..
Starts on 12.5.40 (8 vic. on one day), ends on 25.10.42.
Old 16th June 2010, 02:24
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Zhenya,

Send this attachment to my personal email address. All I get here is the cover page. The real problem with ZG26, of course, is not III Gruppe but Stab, I and II Gruppe.

Regards,

Larry
Old 16th June 2010, 08:36

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road

Have you noticed this board, sold on eBay recently?
It is less readable, but may give a help in some cases...
see attachment...

Peter

Attachment 4543

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 16th June 2010, 12:24

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough

Hello Peter,

A most interesting board because it shows the transfer dates (though difficult to read) of some (later) wellknown NJG-pilots and Bordfunker, like Holler (whose Bordfunker became Robert Gotha, also listed)!

Following the other link, it shows only a cover page of the (much desired) longer list of the first 250 ZG 26 victories.

I do not researching the history of any ZG's, I rather patiently waiting for your book(s) to arrive. However, I always looking for small details about the careers of former ZG crews who later went to the I./NJG 1. Any ZG info that could be studied for that purpose is much welcomed.

All the best, Marcel Hogenhuis
Old 17th July 2010, 13:42
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Evgeny,

Is there any other interesting docs in Reibert site ??

Rémi
Old 17th July 2010, 13:54

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hickey View Post
the Zerstörer units which struggled mightily during the BoB.
just came across this post - thanks Larry. Hope you don't mind, I've posted your list on my blog http://www.falkeeins.blogspot.com
A German author, Michael Ziefle, in his recent 'Bf110 - die Rehabilitierung eines Flugzeuges' tries to make the argument that these types of scores for the ZGs indicate that they could hold their own over England when they weren't tied to the bombers...Rossiwall makes the same point in 'Fliegerlegende' .

Last edited by FalkeEins; 17th July 2010 at 15:03.