Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th February 2021, 21:32

Rolfeb is on a distinguished road
Airfileld Eutngen

Hi All,

I´m interested to understand which units were based at what time at Eutingen airfield during WW II.

Is there any book which contains somne detailled information?

Thanks a lot in advance
Rolf
Old 5th February 2021, 22:00

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough
Re: Airfileld Eutngen

Rolf

This will provide you with a starting position - http://www.ww2.dk/Airfields%20-%20Germany%20[1937%20Borders].pdf

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 7th February 2021, 00:44

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Hi Rolf,

Jürgen Zapf's set of volumes on Luftwaffe airfields, namely "Flugplätze der Luftwaffe 1934-1945 - und was davon übrig blieb", is a highly-recommended resource for this kind of information.
(Of course, it also provides many more details, such as each airfield's coordinates, dimensions, surface materials, altitude, maps, wartime aerial photos, then-and-now photos, facilities, defenses, construction/development history, postwar history and current state.)

Volume 10 in the series covers the airfields in Baden-Württemberg, and Eutingen is covered on pages 120-125.

In summary, the units that were based at Eutingen from 1939 to 1944 were:
  • I./JG 51 (except for the 3. Staffel): 1 Sep - 23 Sep 1939
  • 3./JG 51: Late Sep - 1 Nov 1939
  • Jagdgruppe 176: Middle Oct 1939 - 2 Jan 1940
  • II./JG 51: 28 Oct 1939 - 1 Jan 1940
  • II./JG 54: Late Mar - 28 May 1940
  • III./KG 55: 24 May - 23 Jun 1940
  • Flugzeugführerschule C 15: 28 Sep 1940 - 14 Jan 1943
  • Flugzeugführerschule A/B 112 (later redesignated as Flugzeugführerschule A 112): 17 Oct 1941 - 17 Dec 1944
Regards,
Leon Venter
Old 7th February 2021, 15:54
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Leon -

I couldn't agree more, but the Zapf books only cover Germany, state-by-state, and are an expensive investment unless the researcher is deeply interested in one or perhaps a few airfields. This is why I reduced the amount of information for each airfield but covered those used by the Luftwaffe in each country where it operated during the war.

Furthermore, I kept the level of my research at a more manageable magnitude because I had to use whatever I could gather from the available American, British and German documents. Zapf, on the other hand, confining his research to one country, could visit the state and municipal archives throughout Germany and could even interview elderly people who worked on a particular Fliegerhorst/Flugplatz and/or lived nearby. I also omitted any flying units that only used the airfield for a few days and were not really stationed there. This includes those that staged through it or stopped to refuel before continuing on.

So, yes, Herr Zapf's airfield histories are more detailed and complete than mine, and for that reason I recommend his books to those who have a deep interest in the subject and can afford them.

L.
Old 7th February 2021, 19:19

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry,

My sincere apologies for not mentioning your magnificent reference work on Michael Holm's site (http://www.ww2.dk/lwairfields.html)

Since Luftwaffe airfields are a particular interest of mine, I decided to spring for the Zapf set because it's essential. However, as you mentioned, it's limited to airfields within Germany, it's a hefty outlay, and it can be daunting for non-German speakers.

Your compendium provides extensive details for Luftwaffe airfields in ALL of the territories occupied by the Third Reich, and it's free. I can't even begin to express my admiration for the scope and consistency of your research, or my gratitude for your generosity in sharing it.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Leon Venter
Old 7th February 2021, 19:47
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your kind words, Leon!

Larry deZ.