Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 16th February 2007, 15:13

f for freddy is on a distinguished road
RAF 148 sqdn based Brindis Italy (searching for info on)

I am trying to find any info or veterans connected to the 148 sqdn and their base at Brindisi in Italy, where they were flying the Merlin powered Halifax on SOE/partisan missions.
This part of the squadron's career started in Jan 44 in 334 Wing RAF with 624 sqdn (which left in Feb 44 for Algiers I believe)
There also was the Polish flight 1586 with Liberators; I have also read that there was two American Liberator Squadrons that were training in England? Did these arrive in Brindisi, as I know the Americans operate Liberators there and it was its OSS base for Air and Marine operations but I still can't pin down American squadron numbers for between Jan and August 1944?
One of the pictures that I have is of a crashed Lib it shows a Square to the top of the Libs tail plane with a band below it of the same color, also on the fuselage there is a circle of the same color with what looks like an L in it but the main wing cuts the top of the circle of. When I say color I should say same shade as it is a B&W piccie but I believe the intact engine cowl front is color (might be red) the ship is overall silver.
I am presuming the picture is at Brindisi as that is where the crewmember from the 148 sqdn that has prompted my research was based, but it also could have been a diverted Lib from another station.
Any thoughts, leads or ideas would be gratefully received, this is my first steps into major research and would like to do justice for my departed friend who braved many missions (some of the worst to Poland) and lost a lot of good mates in the process
Steve
Old 16th February 2007, 15:17

f for freddy is on a distinguished road
Re: RAF 148 sqdn based Brindis Italy (searching for info on)

PS also I believe C-47 Dak's were based there on dropping mission but have no details on dates or Squadrons. They may have been from the RAF No 38 air transport group.
Cheers
Old 16th February 2007, 16:16

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

Don't know if this URL will add anything to your research. I did quite a few hours at NARA collecting mission information for a relative on this group.

http://users.rcn.com/hugh.turner/2641st/2641st.htm
Old 24th February 2007, 17:36
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

From the description it looks the aircraft is an ordinary bomber Liberator and not special duty aircraft. I believe C-47s were based at another airfield, though I recall stories of Yugoslavs being at Brindisi. Have you got any other photos taken there?
Old 24th February 2007, 18:41
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

There is some reporting of these missions flown by the SOE Halifaxes in Ken Merrick's Halifax book.
Old 28th February 2007, 14:59
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Hi F-For Freddy
I contacted a former member of 148 Squadron who indeed flew SOE missions from North Africa and into Yugoslavia. He photocopied his logbook for me ( some pages ) and was awarded the DFM. Later he went to a Second tour on Mosquitoes with 128 Squadron. I will check more details for you, but please could you send me your e-mail, for private contacts?
Glad
Adriano Baumgartner
Old 28th February 2007, 18:09
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Hi F-Freddy,

I am back with more data about the pilot I mentioned: Here they are, including the DFM award. I contacted him a long time ago, but apparently he died, because I tried to comunicate further and got no reply. So...hope this will help you with more data for your research.
I will look for more details of his operations over Yugoslavia on the photocopied documents I told he sent me. More later...
Adriano Baumgartner (from Brazil )

8th July – 4th August 1942
No.1655 Convertion Unit, Burn, Yorks.
4th August – 12th Sept. 1942
No.1445 Flight, Lyneham, Wilts.
14th Sept. – 8th October 1942
No.759 Squadron. Aqur, Palestine
8th October – X
Special Operations Flight, Fayid.
X - 4th December 1942
KILO 40 ( LG 237 )
4th December 1942 –
1st January 1943
No.108 Squadron / KILO 40 ( LG 237 )
1st Jan. – 18th February 1943
SOE Flight, Shandur.
18th Feb – 18th March 1943.
No.148 Squadron, Shandur

Flight Lieutenant Stanley James Pearce, DFM

PEARCE, Stanley James. RAF 1194740, Flight Sergeant, No. 148 Squadron
L.G. 18/01/1944. Pilot. Air2/9153. As per London Gazette of 14thJanuary 1944.

Flight Sergeant Pearce has now successfully completed 27 operations with this Squadron, totaling over 300 operational hours and during this tour he has at all times shown the highest degree of courage and determination. All of his flights have been of a long and exhausting nature and have often been carried out at extreme range under the most appalling conditions. On the night of 20th/21st June 1943, the shortest in the year, he was detailed to carry out an operation of vital importance, which had been attempted and had failed on several previous occasions. On arrival in the target area, which was over 1,100 miles away, he found continuous cloud down to the ground and very little chance of a break, with visibility nil. Realizing, however, the importance of the operation, he remained in the area for 2 and half hours, returning repeatedly to a land-mark and resetting course to check his position but, every time, he entered cloud immediately over the area. Eventually, he was so certain of his position that, in spite of surrounding mountains and the difficult nature of the ground, he broke cloud at 2 or 300 feet over the signals and carried out a highly successful drop. On every run, he went into cloud and additional cloud was forming below him but, in spite of this, he persisted with great coolness and daring and completed his final run, just as dawn was breaking. He flew for 5 hours in broad daylight over enemy territory on the return journey and eventually reached base after 14 hours and half in the air. Flight Sergeant Pearce has on all his operations shown a similar skill and persistence and his resourcefulness and never failing enthusiasm have been an example and inspiration to all his comrades. I strongly recommend him for the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.
Old 14th March 2007, 09:22

Beetle2 is on a distinguished road

I have some pages that may help - from the papers left by my father, Gp Capt AB Woodhall, who was CO 334 Wing, Brindisi, from August 19444 to just after VE Day. These are scans of original documents, I've overprinted some of the numbers that are not clear in the scan ( the number 8 on the typewriter was obviously blocked up).