Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 8th April 2009, 17:05

cbe2009
Making/writing a book!!??

Hello!
I am not really sure if this is the right place to ask, but it was the closest I could find, asking this!

I am suffering from Ju 52 mania and have in my collection a large number of pictures with this aeroplane, a flugbuch, pictures of aircrews, flying it and their stories etc. etc.

Would it be interesting to read/see such a book? I am not trying to become a writer on this aircraft, just wanting to share my items.
Is there enough out concerning this airplane?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I really feel like skating on thin ice!!!!!!
happy easter holidays to everyone

Christian
Old 9th April 2009, 20:50
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Making/writing a book!!??

If you are 'cbe...' from eBay, then you certainly have a huge photo collection of interesting and rare photos of the Ju 52, both civilian and military. A pictorial book with so far unpublished photos of 'Tante Ju' would certainly be welcome. My opinion.
Old 9th April 2009, 21:49
Alter Hase

Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Be sure that your post will be spoted by publishers and soon or later you will be in book work
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Owner: www.warplanes-zine.com
Email: srecko.warplane@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758
Old 11th April 2009, 22:07
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

My advice is to just start writing. Until you do, you really don't know for certain what your source material can become. You may find there are gaps or you may find that things connect in ways you did not expect.
Old 13th April 2009, 01:58
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone who works in the publishing business, a few thoughts. Send a few letters of inquiry to publishers who produce books you like. Ask them what they are looking for from new writers and/or send them a proposal. Second, start writing. If you have not done this before you will not have a good way to determine how much time you'll need. Make sure your data is accurate. Don't worry too much about spelling and grammar at first, get your data straight and clean it up later.

It's usually a good idea to have someone proofread your material before it goes to press. A different set of eyes may reveal some problems in the way the material is presented, along with spelling and grammar.

Finally, if you do find a publisher, make sure to get everything in writing. Ask questions if something sounds vague. A good publisher will not fault you for that. And have an attorney look over the final agreement. I hear from too many 'poor' people who think an attorney will only put them in further debt, but I hear from far more who were cheated out of a fair payment or who did not understand terms like "worldwide rights" or "North American rights."

Regards,
Ed
Old 16th April 2009, 23:41

Harold Lake is on a distinguished road

I generally agree with Ed West, but having known a few authors, some retailers and a couple of distributors, you should be aware that the current uncertainity in the market coupled with hard economic times have forced most, if not all, publishers of aviation books to really cut back their finicial exposure to the bare bone. It's no different from other business segments where the product (books) falls within the discretionary purchase catagory. Your first question to a would-be publisher should be: "are you currently releasing new titles on a regular basis and, if so, are your numbers of books printed being reduced or remaindered?"

And yes, checking a publisher's contract can save you a lot of problems down the road; especially when something goes wrong.

Hal
Old 28th April 2009, 14:24

cbe2009

Hello!
Thank you for some very good advice. I am moving on from here now!!!!

Best wishes

Christian