Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th November 2006, 05:03

kennethklee
Gun camera footage of notable shootdowns

I am asking this somewhat naively and as a relative novice, so if I offend some sensibilities, please bear with me. I was wondering if gun camera footage of notable Luftwaffe pilots' last combats exist. Some examples: Klaus Mietusch, Emil Lang, Karl-Heinz Kempf. Just a thought...

Thanks,
Kenneth
Old 28th November 2006, 17:17

drgondog is on a distinguished road
Re: Gun camera footage of notable shootdowns

I have the film of Egon Meyer's last flight on 2 March, 1944.

The problem with this question is multifold. First you have to have access to a lot of film. Second one has to positively identify the time and place of the combat to sort out which units engaged from Brit or American (or Polish or Canadian or Russian, etc) side. Last, does the film from that unit exist and have enough clarity to tentatively id the 'victim'.

In the case above the timing of the encounter and location of Meyer's last combat were known, his wingman's description of the encounter and the film all match - leading one to 'Tentatively' identify the precise action on the existing film.

His wingman described a diving attack from P-47's, Meyer and wingman pulling high G diving left turn, hits in the left wing of his Fw 190, half the left wing snapping off and a skilled pilot trying to reverse the associated forced left roll to no avail.

These circumstances are precisely contained in Walter Gresham's film of 2 March, 1944.

Pretty lucky to make a match.

Regards,

Bill
Old 2nd December 2006, 17:38

kennethklee
Re: Gun camera footage of notable shootdowns

Bill-

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I readily acknowledge that matching gun camera film to the actual combatant(s) is difficult and requires matching of key details, similar to actual confirmation of a shoot-down during the war. I was certainly interested to read of your gun camera film of Egon Mayer's demise.

Thanks and regards,
Kenneth