Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th January 2023, 12:43

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough
Re: eBAy: Captured german planes

Photo 5499 has one Me 262.
Old 28th January 2023, 05:44

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough

Dan,

Post 5499 is a rear view of the line-up at Brunnthal, with the Me262 visible being the U3 “we.34” WNr.500252 of III./EJG2. Other known aircraft confirm this location.

Post 5494 was taken at München-Riem with the Me262 (WNr.500???) being the one visible in other photos at the extreme eastern end of the junk pile in the northeastern corner of the airfield. Note the US deuce-and-a-half behind it entering the airfield from the road to Feldkirchen.

Post 5497 is a Ju87D-3 coded DS+ZH WNr.100034, The camouflage scheme, white tailband and flame dampeners suggest an machine from I./NSGr.9. I think the location is in the München-Riem area in a nearby wooded dispersal.

Best,

David
Old 28th January 2023, 10:57
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Brown View Post
Post 5497 is a Ju87D-3 coded DS+ZH WNr.100034, The camouflage scheme, white tailband and flame dampeners suggest an machine from I./NSGr.9. I think the location is in the München-Riem area in a nearby wooded dispersal.

Best,

David
Thanks for that. I was reading it as DS+ZE but I think you're probably right. I'm cautious over an NSG 9 identification because I don't know of them operating aircraft with factory codes (although they did receive them, of course); they quickly learned to paint over white tail bands for better night camouflage; and the removal of the wheel spats was more common in the East than Italy but on the other hand there was at least one example amoung the NSG 9 Ju 87s at Innsbruck-Hötting. It does seem that W.Nr. 100031 and 100032 (for example) had been passed to the Regia Aeronautica in July 1943, so this "near neighbour" could well have spent time in Italy

The bigger obstacle though is that 1./NSG 9 had converted to the Fw 190 early in 1945 so if this Ju 87 belonged to that Staffel it would probably have been handed over as surplus circa January/February 1945.
Old 28th January 2023, 14:26

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Dan,

Post 5499 is a rear view of the line-up at Brunnthal, with the Me262 visible being the U3 “we.34” WNr.500252 of III./EJG2. Other known aircraft confirm this location.
Thanks David!
Old 29th January 2023, 01:25
Alter Hase

RudiS is on a distinguished road

https://www.ebay.de/itm/404130591640...Bk9SR6bU0q6_YQ
Old 29th January 2023, 03:00

Nick,

I agree that that these machines must have been handed over to some organization that flew them to points in southern Germany / Austria. A few thoughts.

There is a photo of another similar aircraft “DS+ZV’, WNr.100048 wearing a white tailband and mounting a pair of underwing Waffen-Behälter 81A. Its spats are also missing.

At München-Riem there are at least two machines that I think may have been associated with NSGr. 9:

Ju 87 D-3, “??+sw.GK”, WNr.110741: Probably 2./NSGr 9. Single colour spinner, no white tailband visible, light wellen of RLM 79, white-painted rear and top of spats, white-outlined, squarish black “G” on the spats.

Ju 87 D-, “??+??”, WNr.??????,: Possibly NSGr. 9. Light wellen of RLM 79, white-painted rear and top of spats, four-quartered two-colour spinner.

Regarding the white-/RLM 76-coloured rear and shaft of the spats, this is seen on the Ju 87 D-3s “E8+ge.GL” and another uncoded one at Innsbruck-Hötting.

Food for thought…

Best,

David
Old 29th January 2023, 08:17
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Hi David, one or two NNG 9 Ju 87’s did evacuate to Munich’s airfields (not just Riem) in April 1945 but there is another possibility. The Kommandierender General der deutschen Luftwaffe had an “Außenstelle München-Riem” (an Me 410 had accidental damage there early in 1945 — see GQM loss lists), also Komm. Gen. periodically reported on stocks of reserve aircraft (I’d need to look the figures up after all this time) so maybe this was where they were held.
Old 29th January 2023, 16:52

Hi Nick,

As you note, a large number of Luftwaffe aircraft were discovered scattered around Munich area airfields and forests - Riem, Oberweissenfeld, Schleissheim, Neubiberg, Brunnthal, etc. As more photos emerge new aircraft will be discovered and existing ones' identities revealed.

BTW, another image of the above Ju 87 D-3 posted on the LRG confirms that its S-kenn. was not "DS+ZH" but "DS+ZU" WNr.100047.

Best,

David
Old 29th January 2023, 17:47
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
BTW, another image of the above Ju 87 D-3 posted on the LRG confirms that its S-kenn. was not "DS+ZH" but "DS+ZU" WNr.100047.
David
Not knowing what LRG is I have not seen the photo you refer to, but are you 100% certain it is
the same aircraft?
"Ours" certainly do look like CS+ZH....

Cheers
Stig
Old 29th January 2023, 18:30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
David
Not knowing what LRG is I have not seen the photo you refer to, but are you 100% certain it is
the same aircraft?
"Ours" certainly do look like CS+ZH....

Cheers
Stig
LRG = Luftwaffe Research Group