Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 23rd June 2016, 13:31

njgypm is on a distinguished road
JG3 Claims for 7th June 1940

I am a new member and cannot find an existing thread concerning the above. My uncle John Dudley Edmonds of 43 Squadron was shot down and killed flying his Hurricane on 7th June near Abbeville and it is my understanding that it was a BF109 of JG3 that did this.

John Edmonds took off from Tangmere at 11.00am and the two pilots who did return to base got back at 13.15pm. and so I am presuming that he was shot down between about 11.45 and 12.30 British time. It is my understanding that he was the first of the 43 squadron pilots to be shot down that day. It was a very bad day for the squadron.

I am trying to determine which of the four JG3 pilots who claimed kills that day against Hurricanes in that general location might be the one that shot him down. They were Helmut Tiedmann, Bernhard Lampskemper, Eberhard Bock and Helmut Meckel but I cannot find any times listed for their successful actions against Hurricanes to be able to narrow it down further to one pilot. Other Luftwaffe claims against Hurricanes that day that do have times appear to be too late in the day to have been relevant.

Do any members have additional information or ideas on any other way I can narrow it down to one pilot? Do any combat records for individual pilots of JG3 exist for that day? Also I understand that it was quite a process at that time (i.e witnesses required) for Luftwaffe kills to be allocated. I have seen one on-line reference that it might have been Tiedmann but I do not know how this conclusion was arrived at.

I would appreciate any help that members can give in this matter. Thank you.
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:18
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: JG3 Claims for 7th June 1940

I am afraid that no location apart from Abbeville for all 4 kills is given and no time
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:35

njgypm is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that. It is just what I found. Any suggestions as to where I can go from here...or is it going to be a total dead end?
Old 23rd June 2016, 17:11
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I am afraid that unless the logbooks of said pilots turn up, no chance. I have the War diary here of JG 3 and that adds nothing more

Tags
7th june 1940, helmut tiedmann, jg3, john edmonds