Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 2nd June 2014, 19:57
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Forgotten Fifteenth: The Daring Airmen Who Crippled Hitler's War Machine

No reviews for this one, so no idea if it's worthwhile.

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Fift.../dp/1621572080

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 3rd June 2014, 02:26

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
Re: Forgotten Fifteenth: The Daring Airmen Who Crippled Hitler's War Machine

Book titles leave so much to be desired.

ASWWIAH Member
Old 3rd June 2014, 05:39
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

As a professional in the book publishing business, I agree. Titles range from the cryptic, to the stupid to the overly dramatic. I will never buy a book with a subtitle that reads: "The action, event, person, strategy that won the war..."

All contributed, and mistakes were made by all sides (I'm still trying to figure out the rapid fall of France). My least favorite title includes the names of two flowers. Some books I find totally by accident, despite the publisher's best effort to give the book a title with no military connection whatsoever.

Ed
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:48

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road

I have a copy already (and till now, I was able to read around 200 pages from it).

Since this book is the first complete 15th AAF history and it is the usual Tillman quality (lots of research behind it and it was written in a very readable style), definitely worth its price. I've found few avoidable errors in it and I've missed some more sources from the opponent side (but I'm a nasty perfectionist) After all it is a very fine book, well recommended to anyone.
Old 3rd June 2014, 14:47

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Csaba,

Does Tillman write in narative style or does he provide more like a daily this is what we did today, what we hit, why, and the results? A couple of days ago an acquaintance asked me about Wasserburg. Did it have anything to do with Me 262 production and, if so, what did it produce? My memory said that it was wiped out in an early, for the Me 262, bombing raid, but I was left scrambling to dig up the facts. Eventually, I uncovered that it was hit by the 15th AF in Sept. 1944, no thanks to the diary type books I have on the 8th AF, but not on the 15th. Once I had a lead, I could provide the needed information.

Regards,
Richard
Old 3rd June 2014, 22:21
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Recently, I've received a courtesy copy from the author.

I haven't had the chance to read it yet, only flicked through. It definitely looks like a well written book, nice design, which is well worth the purchase.
It's written in a narrative style, mixed with some background, strategic overview, not a day-by-day account, like the other recently published title dedicated to the 15th AAF, by Kevin A. Mahoney.

What I'd have appreciated was an accurate map of the region and more photos. Nevertheless, as I said, I can only recommend it, also because bibliography of the 15th AAF is unreasonably scarce. I only wish more similar books, dedicated to this topic, would show up on my bookshelves...
Old 12th June 2014, 20:32

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard T. Eger View Post
Dear Csaba,

Does Tillman write in narative style or does he provide more like a daily this is what we did today, what we hit, why, and the results? A couple of days ago an acquaintance asked me about Wasserburg. Did it have anything to do with Me 262 production and, if so, what did it produce? My memory said that it was wiped out in an early, for the Me 262, bombing raid, but I was left scrambling to dig up the facts. Eventually, I uncovered that it was hit by the 15th AF in Sept. 1944, no thanks to the diary type books I have on the 8th AF, but not on the 15th. Once I had a lead, I could provide the needed information.

Regards,
Richard
Dear Richard,

The dimensions of Tillman's book (size and number of pages) already suggests, that it is a narrative style book (the author is a master of such works). I guess, the author, his agent and the publisher noticed the truly visible gap at 15th AAF's history books, so they have produced this work, but not as a day-by-day account, of course. Incidentally it was Kenn C. Rust, who published the first 15th AAF history book back in 1976, but it is a pretty short material, it covers the history of the 15th AAF just in around 40 pages. Rust gives bombing mission lists as well, but it is somewhat inaccurate (for example it contains planned, but not executed raids as well).
I'm sure that there will be much more books about 15th AAF in the more or less close future.

Regards,

Csaba