Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th December 2019, 19:06

Harrie is on a distinguished road
Re: DBU Kraft Stoff filler cap

Fuel cap from a bf-110 G-3 and Schmierstoffbehalter .
Is this cap for mixing oil and fuel ?
Very intressting thread and thanks for contributions.

Last edited by Harrie; 16th December 2019 at 17:34.
Old 5th December 2019, 22:08

13starsinax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti Salonen View Post
Drawing below.

Matti

Thanks, that one does not look vented. It also appears to be not on a drop tank. Which book was that drawing in?
Old 5th December 2019, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
Fuel cap from a bf-110 G-3 and Schmierstoffbehalter .
Is this cap for mixing oil and fuel ?
Very intressting thread and thanks for contributions.

That is a vented type oil cap, there are several type of schmierstoff caps,
I have one I will provide example.

Pg. 190 of this document has the drawing, for this example
https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.com/ar...sanleitung.pdf

Last edited by 13starsinax; 6th October 2020 at 23:42.
Old 5th December 2019, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfeb View Post
This is a standard cap for a standard airplane tank, used in many airplanes during WW II

Could you please show me an example of a non vented DBU filler cap other than on a drop tank?
Old 6th December 2019, 08:36
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

The drawing is from the booklet "Kraftstoff-Armaturen" published by DBU (Deutsche Benzinuhrer-Gesellschaft m.b.H.) on 1 Okt. 1937.

Matti
Old 6th December 2019, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti Salonen View Post
The drawing is from the booklet "Kraftstoff-Armaturen" published by DBU (Deutsche Benzinuhrer-Gesellschaft m.b.H.) on 1 Okt. 1937.

Matti

Thank you, I will look further into that this evening.
Old 7th December 2019, 03:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClinA-78 View Post
Fuel cap (without vent) also used on Bf 109E.

ClinA-78

Could you please tell me where to read more on this?
Old 7th December 2019, 17:43
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

I don't know where to search but I found the said cap on Bf 109 E-1 WNr. 3479.

ClinA-78
Old 7th December 2019, 22:04

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road

Hi, The caps that I have, show a few interesting details. The DBU marked Kraftstoff caps come in vented and unvented type. The casting has the same part number 8-4520A cast into the reverse of the small attachment screw arm, despite the fact that the casting is different in detail, particularly the "air vented" cast lettering on the vented type. They are made from an Electron magnesium. It can be deduced that the vented caps were generally fitted on unpressurised fuel tanks, also generally gravity or low pressure refuelled. It is not known to me if there were specific aircraft with internal tanks that required unvented Kraftstoff caps. The common external 300 Litre droptank required air pressurisation to transfer the fuel up into the aircraft system and so, they had a sealed cap. You can see that in the photos of the droptanks in post#6. There is another point, the DBU caps have a large screw arm for a 12mm threaded stud and a small screw arm for an 8mm stud. This arrangement controlled the fitment of the cap to one orientation. You can see this on the second photo in #6 which I think shows the early standard of droptank cap with the sealed type 8-4520A DBU cap. However, later droptanks had a standardised sealed cap, that I think is shown in the first photo of #6. The standardised late cap has both arms with cutouts for 8mm studs. The late cap is made of alluminium alloy and has no words cast into it. In original condition they are painted a light green/blue. The standardised droptank cap has the following id cast into the metal of the arms: 3355.4 gyq N.9 (where 3355.4 is the alloy spec and gyq the manufacturer code) on one arm and, R-05615-39 (the part number) on the other arm. Cheers

SM
Old 7th December 2019, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarze-man View Post
Hi, The caps that I have, show a few interesting details. The DBU marked Kraftstoff caps come in vented and unvented type. The casting has the same part number 8-4520A cast into the reverse of the small attachment screw arm, despite the fact that the casting is different in detail, particularly the "air vented" cast lettering on the vented type. They are made from an Electron magnesium. It can be deduced that the vented caps were generally fitted on unpressurised fuel tanks, also generally gravity or low pressure refuelled. It is not known to me if there were specific aircraft with internal tanks that required unvented Kraftstoff caps. The common external 300 Litre droptank required air pressurisation to transfer the fuel up into the aircraft system and so, they had a sealed cap. You can see that in the photos of the droptanks in post#6. There is another point, the DBU caps have a large screw arm for a 12mm threaded stud and a small screw arm for an 8mm stud. This arrangement controlled the fitment of the cap to one orientation. You can see this on the second photo in #6 which I think shows the early standard of droptank cap with the sealed type 8-4520A DBU cap. However, later droptanks had a standardised sealed cap, that I think is shown in the first photo of #6. The standardised late cap has both arms with cutouts for 8mm studs. The late cap is made of alluminium alloy and has no words cast into it. In original condition they are painted a light green/blue. The standardised droptank cap has the following id cast into the metal of the arms: 3355.4 gyq N.9 (where 3355.4 is the alloy spec and gyq the manufacturer code) on one arm and, R-05615-39 (the part number) on the other arm. Cheers

SM

Thank you, what an articulate post. I greatly appreciate the details. This forum has an exceptional amount of knowledge.
As other posters have pointed that possible, and known to them on an EMIL had a non vented fuel cap. You point to this, too. I would be curios then where the system is vented. That is probably for another discussion.
I think you have answered what my original search was for, and others have enjoyed it.