Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd April 2015, 08:25

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: P-51 loss on 2 April 1945

A big, fat AHA. Using the calculator provided by Paul, it turns out to be the town of Schwarzbach, which is about 30km due SSE from Loehbach. So that fits better and makes sense. Danny
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:16

Peter Randall

Afraid you are running around in circles gents! The photo in the German article shows the 26 November incident at Steeple Morden. Goodness only knows how they associated this 2SF P-51 with the german forced landing. Very poor quality photo becuse I could only photocopy at the time at NARA, but you will see that it matches the German photo exactly, save for the information having been cropped of the bottom.

Last edited by Peter Randall; 26th December 2018 at 12:40.
Old 3rd April 2015, 13:42

pdame141 is on a distinguished road

Danny:

I'm pretty sure that's our guy. To remove doubt, his ASN from the MACR was O-816947 and he was assigned to the 111th Tactical Recon Squadron flying out of Azelot, France when he was shot down.

Are there any further details on his recovery in the IDPF? The website that Laurent references indicates that a spotter plane landed near the crash prior to recovery of Lt. Sodermark by follow-on troops.

Best regards,
Paul
Old 3rd April 2015, 17:18
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everybody

I agree that Lt Sodermark might be the right man. The MACR was written just two days after his loss, but there is nothing in it about efforts to find him, maybe because he was found shortly later. So he might be the man in the story of the German website, one day of difference by the German witness being understandable.

The original burial location of Bensheim is close enough. If a spotter plane (identified as a Storch by the German witness, but probably an American Piper Cub) landed and took the wounded/died pilot, it is not so far away, even by road.

Bensheim was taken by the 45th Infantry Division on 27 March 1945. The 103rd US Infantry Division was also there, but only later (after 7 April 1945). So I will now search confirmation of this story in 45th Division papers and stories.

Edited: the 45th Infantry Division went NE and was no more there on 1 April 1945, at least most of it. Troops of US XXI Corps (12th Armored, 4th and 42nd Infantry Divisions) were also in the area. So a lot of possibilities to find a needle...
Old 4th April 2015, 19:30

I think he was buried by Germans at Bensheim and it quite possibly was a Storch as I doubt the Americans would have buried him in Bensheim. But then again, I think that Bensheim had a US Military Mausoleum, so who knows.

Alas, the IDPF is lacking any information, as the pilot was returned to his family in the US. Most IDPFs from returned personnel have had most of the original IDPF removed and replaced by the transport, internment and inventory documents.

Sorry I could not be of more help. Danny
Old 4th April 2015, 21:03
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello SSG Keay,

I see from your earlyier post (9) that you have the IDPF. Date by the way should read estimated DoD of 31st March 1945 I think, not 1844, unless at the time they used a possible 1 year + 1 day rule i.e 30th March 1944 becomes 31st March 1945, but 1844 ?

From my own experience it takes over a year to receive an IDPF when requested. In some cases the MACR is part of the report as are the German KU reports, Body injuries etc in full, Travell arrangements including accompanying officers name(s) etc funeral parlor name and even down to number of rounds fired at the final Home interment.

If at all possible would you be so kind as to send copy to me ?
My email is alexATsmart98.freeserve.co.uk
@ in place of AT as per usual.

Many thanks
Alex
Old 5th April 2015, 01:07
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg keay View Post
I think he was buried by Germans at Bensheim and it quite possibly was a Storch as I doubt the Americans would have buried him in Bensheim.
During the war, US forces, like other belligerents, created many cemeteries to bury their soldiers where they fell, or near by. These casualties were then reburied after the war, in the US or in some big war cemeteries depending of the family wishes.
Old 5th April 2015, 04:18

pdame141 is on a distinguished road

All:

There was indeed a temporary American cemetery at Bensheim. According to the unit history of the 46th Quartermaster Graves Registration Company (see http://www.med-dept.com/unit-histori...ation-company/) the unit scouted the Bensheim site for a cemetery in late March and moved to Bensheim from St. Avold, France on 1 April 1945.

I think it is most likely that the Piper Cub crew investigated the crash and found Lt. Sodermark dead or dying and that he was likely recovered later by a team from the 46th QM Graves Registration Co. and temporarily interred at Bensheim before being moved to St. Avold and ultimately repatriated to the U.S. At his family's request in 1948.

Best regards,
Paul
Old 5th April 2015, 14:20

Damn you Alex, you noticed I didn't have my glasses on and I was tired yes, you have it right!

Danny
Old 5th April 2015, 14:24

Alex, you have IDPF mail!