Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 23rd January 2012, 10:13

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
812 sqn Swordfishes in the Petsamo raid?

Hello!

This question was first posted at Britmodeller -forum, but no answers ( http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...opic=234911278 ). Although originally this was a camo and markings question even the Swordfish identities (RAF(FAA) code) would be a big step forward.

All the news about the magnificent Airfix Swordfish kit have pushed me for search of more info about 812 squadron. Their participation in the Petsamo raid July 1941 connects Swordfish also to the Finnish aviation history.

My copy of Stuart Lloyd's FAA camo and markings book is on loan right now but IIRC it had a picture or two about the 812 sqn Swordfishes? But my question really is what individuals did take part in the raid (there should have been nine of them, see link 2 below)? And what was their camouflage and markings then? Anyone knows anything? Any decals readily available for these are fanciful dreaming, I fear.

thanking in advance,
Kari

Some reading about the Petsamo-Kirkenes raids:

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on...es_and_Petsamo

2) http://fleetairarmarchive.net/RollofHonour...kenes_1941.html

3) http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/Lond...zette/38300.pdf
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:29
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: 812 sqn Swordfishes in the Petsamo raid?

Kari,

Doesn't the fleetairmarchive link give the individual names of the Swordfish crew members involved, give or take a few omissions?

Regards,

Leendert
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:49
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Kari

Am I missing something here?
The nine crews (except for two individuals) are listed in your source 2. Unfortunately the individual aircraft taking part seems to be unknown, so if you want to make a model or link the individuals to a given aircraft, I suppose it could be difficult. However FAA was not renowned for using individual markings or strange paintings, so most if not all Swordfish wore the same standard camouflage, which no doubt is included in the book you have (unfortunately not in my own possession)

Cheers
Stig
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:42

Hello!

Thanks. Crew names yes, individual aircraft identities nyet. Difficult to model, yes.

Search continues. Thank you, gentlemen.

Kari

PS Sorry for the brewity, catched flu and fewer today.
Old 23rd January 2012, 19:40

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road

Kari,
Have you looked at the log of HMS Furious for June 1941? It may contain what you want. It is at The National Archives, Kew, piece number ...
ADM 53/114291

Hope you feel better soon,
Bruce
Old 25th January 2012, 12:47
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello Kari,
Have you looked in the Forums archives ? there is a full article in January 2006.
In the mean time I will search my paperwork for serials. and get back to you soon.
In the mean time I have these 19 names as losses for the 30/31st July 1941. All Finn's I beleive.
30-7-41
Lanc Corp. Arvo Johannes Halmes
Soldier. Usko Armas Hilkos
Lanc Corp. Erkki Eino Lehtikangas
Soldier. Válno Henrik Lindfors
Frontier Gard. Holger Gdeon (?) Lindroos
Korn Thord Une Nordfors
Soldier. Vilno Nestori Schroderus
Sgt. Paul Matias Taos
Gunner Arro Ylenius
31-7-41
Sgt. Pentti Kaarlo Alaajos
Soldier. Kauko Kustaa Enroos
Lanc Corp. Martti Ignatius
Soldier. Ernst Alfred Ollus
Soldier. Eino Antti Palo Anius
Lanc Corp. Armas Vademar Pirttikangas
Lanc Corp. Aarre Erkki Posti-Ahokas
Soldier. Reino Edvard Suokas
Soldier Martti Olavi Terás
Soldier Yrtó Arro Ylenius

These may have been victums of the attack ?

Alex

Last edited by Alex Smart; 25th January 2012 at 13:54.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:15

Hello!

According this Finnish language Wikipedia page ( http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liinahamarin_pommitus_1941 ) casualties at Petsamo were:

- three dead (two German soldiers and merchant seaman (Finn?))

- four Finnish civilian wounded, one of them seriously

One Norwegian civilian ship was sunk with it's rum cargo.

I did not check you namelist (from the Finnish War Casualties database ?), they are in all probability from other sites and sectors.

The quick search with terms Liinahamarin pommitus brought also this photo:

http://www.palasuomenhistoriaa.net/k...slides/105.jpg

It is one photo from thread http://mave.foorumi.eu/viewtopic.php...301&start=1905 (in Finnish). The Finnish text claims the photo is taken just after the Liinahamari attack. I wonder the ships which were there not during the attack, though. Perhaps photo is taken much more later?
LATER EDIT: In The London Gazette -article there reads clearly: "...Other than above, there were only small harbour craft present at Liinahamari, and three motor-boats, possibly E-boats. So I had it wrong and the German looking boats in the photo most likely are the mentioned E-boats. Pretty accurate reporting from the FAA aviators, if you ask me.

The thread also has photo of one dead British aviator for which I wish not put a hot link. I haven't ever before seen the mave.foorumi -photos and don't know who posesses them.

Translate.google can handle Finnish to English translation (but very poorly).

I also remember that Finnish magazine Suomen kuvalehti would have had an article with photos of the Liinahamari attack in a 1941 issue. They still publish and homepage is: http://suomenkuvalehti.fi/

In meantime there has been activity also at the Britmodeller thread (also by me). Perhaps new info too?

Cheers,
Kari

Last edited by Kari Lumppio; 26th January 2012 at 11:34.
Old 25th January 2012, 21:11
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

I'd still like to know the names of the pilots who shot down all of those Albacores!!

Cheers
Brian
Old 25th January 2012, 21:58
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

A quick look in Sturtivant has dredged up five aircraft linked to 812 Sq in July 1941.
P4277 (C) 812 7/41
V4375 to 812 7/41
V4380 (G) to 812 7/41
V4384 812 Sq accident Cat Y 18/7/41
V4389 crashed on Petsamo raid 30/7/41 S/L Rideal unhurt POW? Possibly S/L CJK Kindell intended but no Swordfish lost?

There may be more but my eyes are a little sore from a cold so I'm calling a halt here. I'll look again another time.

Last edited by Graham Boak; 25th January 2012 at 23:44. Reason: Correction to first serial.
Old 25th January 2012, 23:18

Hello!

Bruce. Apologies for the oversight and no reply. Thank you for the archival code. If only I ever could visit there. But I try to harass some colleagues of a colleague visiting there and then the piece number is golden.

Graham. Just the right stuff, thank you very much! Perhaps something can gleaned out of all this (and Britmodeller).

BTW According Finnish Navy HQ war diary (archival code spk 18708) the norwegian merchant ship sunk was named Rodvaer. The oil tanks were damaged and could not be used without reparations. Pier 2 was damaged from both ends ("F" and "H" from 812 sqn) and Veneniemi (seems to be Swedish Quay in the British map) pier was also damaged ("C" from 817 sqn).

Cheers,
Kari