Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th April 2014, 21:25
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking info or photos of I./KG3 Do17Z that FL in Belgium, possibly "near Melsbroeck," on 12.05.40

Hello,

We're still trying to match photos with loss records for I./KG3 aircraft. Here's another one:

According to the revised EoE LW loss DB: "12 May 1940: I./KG3 Dornier Do17Z. Badly damaged in attacks by Sgt Boyer and Sgt Moulènes of GC III/7 near Blesmes and forced-landed in Belgium 1.15 p.m. No crew casualties. Aircraft 30% damaged but repairable."

There are several photos of a FL Do17Z of 1./KG3, 5K+EH, that displays the W.Nr.26__, possibly 2654 or 2634. One of the several photos of this a/c in our DB that originates from eBay carried the caption: "near Melsbroeck," which is a few miles NE of Brussels.

Does anyone have any information that would help us correlate the information and photos? If the reported FL on 12 May 1940 is not 5K+EH, does anyone have any other info or photos that might help us correctly identify what a/c it was, and/or place a correct date and full W.Nr. on the photos of 5K+EH?

Thanx for any help.
Old 10th April 2014, 22:31

Pieter H is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking info or photos of I./KG3 Do17Z that FL in Belgium, possibly "near Melsbroeck," on 12.05.40

Hi Larry, I don't think the above May 12 I./KG3 loss and the 5K+EL match. The 12 May loss was after an attack on Blesmes train station in the St Dizier area. Of the three Dorniers of 3./KG3 that were intercepted by GC III/7 pilots the 5K+EL crashed near the St Dizier railway station (your other querie) and a second one "in Belgium", see above. However, a crash landing at Bruxelles or Melsbroek is then highly unlikely. The south-eastern part of the Ardennes near the Luxemburg border is the probable location.

If the location of the 5K+EH crash "near Melsbroek" is correct that was almost certainly after KG3 transfered to bases in Belgium. I./KG3 was based at Beauvechain/Goetenhoven/Le Culot from June onwards. During the Western Campaign KG3 never operated over central Belgium. So the 5K+EH crash was likely after that date.

Regards, Pieter