Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd March 2010, 20:05

derneden@pt.lu is on a distinguished road
Oblt Günther WITT 7.Jg 1 crash site

Hello from Luxembourg,

Can anyone help me to find the crash site of Oblt Günther WITT which went down on 08th Feb 1944 near Luxembourg. In the Verlustliste is marked that he was in the St Elisabeth hospital in Luxembourg for that day. So he probably died there due to his wounds. As I know, he bailed out of his damaged Bf 109 G 15406 white 2. More information on him would help me to locate his crash site. Many thanks in advance

John from Luxembourg
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:39
Alter Hase

Alain57 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Oblt Günther WITT 7.Jg 1 crash site

Hello John ,

From Tom Kracker's site :

Witt, Günther Oblt
2 victories
5/JG-52 (6/40), IV/JG-1 (10/42), Stfkpt 10/JG-11 (8/43)
Bf 109E in JG-52, Fw 190A-4 in JG-1, Fw 190A in JG-11
EK 2, Fighter Operational Clasp
Constantly circled Barkhorn 29 October, 1940 as Barkhorn awaited rescue from the English Channel. One known victory, his 1st, a Hawk-75A south of Reims, 9 June, 1940. His 2nd, a Spitfire at London on 20 October, 1940.

The Volksbund site has no info on Oblt Witt about his burial place
Alain57
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:02
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Oblt Günther WITT 7.Jg 1 crash site

Seems not to hv died, hv you evidence of the contrary ??

Rémi
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:26
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

Hello John,

For years, we share the same interest, moreover I am also a NCO of the BAF... coïncidence ;-) Here are fresh blood.

I presume Oblt. Günther Witt crashed with his presumed 'wingman' (both of 7./JG 1)- Fw. Günther Schulze- on the same day, during the same combat (?), in the same location - Marbehan- but, for him, more precisely in the "Bois du Chenet" near Marbehan (thus in the Belgian province of Luxembourg). A witness said to me, years ago, that a German fighter crashed (in a spin) in this wood. The pilot bailed out but was injured both two legs but I can't tell you for sure if it was Oblt. Witt.
In a very rare 'Abendmeldung', it is said "Am 8.2.44 zwischen 12 u. 13 Uhr 1 dt. Jäger bei Marbehan 10 km w. Arel abgestürzt. Besatzung: 1 Offz. mit Fallschirm abgesprungen. Leicht verletzt." So I think he survived.

Best regards

ClinA-78
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:05

philippe1 is on a distinguished road

hello,
i was in the area of marbehan,
i was told by old people that end war the german fither crashed into a river and for a long time big part of the tail was still visible.
its possible due "not having more info" that there still might be something in the river but the problem is that its located in natural habitat.
kind regards
phil
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:57

Hello all,

Thanks for all the information. On the german " Verlustliste" is marked that he was in the hospital in Luxembourg City ( St. Elisabeth Hospital). It is sure that he bailed out of his plane so he must have been seriously wounded from this jump. I have a letter from the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge dated July 1999 that Oblt WITT died on the 8 Feb 1944. As I read in the book of Mister Prien they mention him as bailed out and wounded. On the Verlustliste they marked, that after being in hospital,nothing has been heard from Oblt Witt. I agree with the crash site near Arlon ( Marbehan) as I don't know any crash site which could match to Oblt WITT here in Luxembourg. I guess that he was immediately transported from Marbehan near Arlon to Luxemburg City.
Old 4th March 2010, 17:04
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

Hello John,

It is almost sure that Oblt. Witt has crashed in the "Bois du Chênet" and the other German fighter, mentioned by "Mr Vandermeulen" in his post, refers to Fw. Gustav Schulze (7./JG1 ) lost in the same combat on the 8th February 1944. Schulze has no known grave and he is supposed still buried in the moody little river called La Mellier. A recovery attempt should be extremly difficult cause the private properties, difficult access, hightly interest biotope and fish farming nearby.

Best regards

ClinA-78
Old 4th March 2010, 22:34

Hello to all,

Many thanks for all the info. I hope that some day someone could recover the plane of Fw Gustav Schulze and that he finally could be buried properly. Again many thanks.

John from Luxembourg