Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th December 2010, 15:36

Richard Mills is on a distinguished road
RKT Hauptmann Horst-Günther Von Fassong

After purchasing some documents relating to RKT Hauptmann Horst-Günther Von Fassong earlier this year, it is now time to start some research which will lead to the final display of the items.

I have pieced together his recorded claims via Tony Wood's site and have a list of his awards and decorations, other than that I have only managed to pick up some minor snippets of information here and there.

I would like to ask if anyone can share any information at all on this Jagdflieger RKT, in particular from his time in Jagdgeschwader 11 and the circumstances leading to his death during 'Untenehmen Bodenplatte'.

As always, any help whatsoever will be very well received indeed. Thank you in anticipation.

Regards Richard.
Old 27th December 2010, 17:19

Doug Stankey will become famous soon enough
Re: RKT Hauptmann Horst-Günther Von Fassong

Here is what we have about this fellow:

FASSONG, Horst-Günther von.
(DOB: 27.04.19 in Kassel).
05.40 trf from the Heer to the Luftwaffe.
07.41 Lt. in I./JG 51, but some weeks later on 28.07.41 severely burned in a take-off accident and out of action for many months.
12.02.43 Oblt., appt Staka 10./JG 51.
20.09.43 Oblt., awarded Ehrenpokal.
17.10.43 Oblt., awarded DKG, 10./JG 51.
04.44 Oblt., Staka 10./JG 51, appt Staka 7./JG 11 (to 05.44).
01.05.44 promo to Hptm.
05.44 appt Kdr. III./JG 11 (to 01.01.45).
27.07.44 Hptm., awarded Ritterkreuz, Kdr. III./JG 11.
01.01.45 Hptm. and Kdr. III./JG 11, MIA – at the time believed shot down in the vicinity of Maastricht during Operation Bodenplatte and not seen again, but in reality his Fw 190 was shot down by P-47s over Asch and he was KIA.
Credited with at least 75 air victories with some sources speaking of 136.

We hope that this helps.

HLdZ
DGS
Old 27th December 2010, 17:32
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Hauptmann Horst-Günther von Fassong

Hello Richard

I believe that I have already shared with you what I have been able to compile on this ace as regards biographical information so I cannot add anything in that regard. I am able, though, to post this excerpt from the excellent Bodenplatte book by Manhro/Putz concerning the events surrounding his death:

Hptm. Horst-Gunther von Fassong was seen to be shot down by two Thunderbolts over Asch. Uffz. Armin Mehling flew as Rottenflieger with Hptm. von Fassong. Mehling had joined JG 11 in June 1944 from JG 51 and as Hptm. von Fassong had also previously belonged to JG 51, he asked Uffz. Mehling to join his Stabsschwarm. Mehling remembers the encounter with the Thunderbolts vividly: "Our Gruppe was completely surprised by the Thunderbolts. We flew at a height of 15 metres and the P-47s at 300 metres and they dived upon us. When we saw the P-47s, Hptm. von Fassong and I tried to pull up but we were followed closely by six Thunderbolts. Hptm. von Fassong's aircraft was hit and burned immediately. From 15 to 20 metres the Focke-Wulf hit the ground and cartwheeled in one big ball of flames. There was no escape for Hptm. von Fassong. I also received numerous hits and one bullet went through the armoured plate behind my head and through the front windshield. A bolt in my seat was loose and consequently I sat very deep in the cockpit, hardly able to look over the edge of the cockpit. This saved my life."

Hptm. von Fassong crashed in flames near Opglabbeek. Unfortunately his grave location has never been established and today he is listed as MIA. Uffz. Armin Mehling immediately tried to return to friendly territory. Heading east, he was followed by three Mustangs but as soon as he passed the German lines they turned away. He arrived at Gross-Ostheim where he was greeted by red light signals. Apparently one of his mainwheels failed to lower and he crash-landed on the airfield.

I hope this information is interesting to you.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 27th December 2010, 20:29

Doug

Thank you very much for that, you have filled in some gaps already, in particular some of his assignments and promotion dates.

Incidently, the award of his Ehrenpokal is not recorded in his Soldbuch (neither is his Bronze and Silver Frontflug-Spange, but his Gold was))

Leo

That really is excellent information surrounding the circumstances of his death from his wing-man, thank you very much for going to the trouble of relaying the info.

Do you know if it is known what targets III./JG11 were assigned during Bodenplatte? Is it known where Fassong had been or was going in this operation?

Many thanks already for your help, it is much appreciated.

Regards Richard.
Old 27th December 2010, 20:56
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road

Hello Richard

I can only add that III./JG 11 took off at 8:18 from Gross-Ostheim to attack the airfield at Asch occupied by the P-47 fighters of the 366th FG and the P-51 fighters of the 352nd FG. III./JG 11 suffered the heaviest losses of the Gruppen of JG 11 involved with 12 of the 31 aircraft that flew the mission being lost. I hope that this helps you.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 27th December 2010, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Etgen View Post
Hello Richard

I can only add that III./JG 11 took off at 8:18 from Gross-Ostheim to attack the airfield at Asch occupied by the P-47 fighters of the 366th FG and the P-51 fighters of the 352nd FG. III./JG 11 suffered the heaviest losses of the Gruppen of JG 11 involved with 12 of the 31 aircraft that flew the mission being lost. I hope that this helps you.

Horrido!

Leo
Leo

That is excellent, thank you very much indeed for your help.

Regards Richard.
Old 27th December 2010, 22:03
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Richard,

Not sure what you mean with "final display" but as Leo quoted from my book and also used information from my book ("Bodenplatte, The Luftwaff's Last Hope") I assume you will list this as the source for the information. I talked in length with Armin Mehling about those events on 1.1.45 and also had contact with the relatives of Hptm. von Fassong.

Regards,

John.
Old 27th December 2010, 23:06

John

As a collector and researcher of Luftwaffe documents, my quote of 'final display' is simply how I display them in format with completed research as a collector.

All of my document groups are stored in simple A4 size folders with as much research as I can ascertain to compliment the documents and photographs.

The research and subsequent display is purely for my own benefit only and have no intention of publication of any of my collection. If however, I were to change my mind on this I would of course list all source material in detail.

In this case, the information from your book has been of invaluable use to determine the circumstances of his death, As it happens, after seeing the post with the relevant info, I ordered a copy of your book this evening.

Regards Richard.
Old 27th December 2010, 23:18
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Richard,

Ok, I already thought you meant something like that. I hope you will enjoy the book. Hptm. von Fassong was an excellent pilot and his loss was a blow to III./JG 11. He had lead the Gruppe on many occasions in the second halve of 1944.

Thanks,

John.