Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd June 2008, 16:14

MDriskill is on a distinguished road
Fw 190's of I./EKG(J)

Japo's Fw 190D Camouflage & Markings, vol 1 was, IMHO, the first to correctly identify Dora w. nr. 211115 , "Red 18," as belonging to I./EKG(J). This is a really interesting, unique scheme and became an instant favorite for me. Japo's text mentions that one other aircraft of this unit has been photographed, i.e. Fw 190A "Red 31," and describes several other machines mentioned in a pilot's diary.

I believe that photos of two other I./EKG(J) machines have been published, but not correctly labeled:

1. Gotterdammerung (Luftwaffe Wrecks and Relics), by Brett Green, Classic Publications 2006. P. 42 shows Fw 190A-9 "19." Author speculates number is red or blue, but does not identify unit. The pale narrow fuselage band, gray tone and style of number, and unusual "moustache" shaped marking aft of the national insignia seem identical to "Red 18." Entire tail, including w. nr., unfortunately is not visible in the photo. Spinner seems lighter than the usual 70, and possibly matches the fuselage number.

2. Jagdwaffe, Vol 5 Section 2 (War in the East), by Bergstrom and Pegg, Classic Publications 2005. P. 164 has large photo of Fw 190A-8 "17," w. nr. 170412. Author speculates markings are blue, but does not identify unit. Again, all details of fuselage markings appear identical to "Red 18." Spinner again may match the fuselage number. This is a very interesting machine with many obvious repairs and overpainting--the authors note its w. nr. show it to be a year old at the time it was photographed.

Any comments to my speculative interpretation welcome, of course (one possible fly in the ointment is the widely separated locations the three machines were photographed, if the captions are accurate). Does anyone else have additional info on aircraft of this interesting training unit?