Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 23rd March 2022, 16:52
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Das Jagdflugzeug Messerschmitt Bf 109. Technik / Eigenschaften / Leistung / Stückzahlen / Bewährung.

Expected at the end of the month.

https://www.christian-schmidt.com/pr...tqst4ibde937p5

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 23rd March 2022, 23:00
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Das Jagdflugzeug Messerschmitt Bf 109. Technik / Eigenschaften / Leistung / Stückzahlen / Bewährung.

An English edition needed!
Old 25th March 2022, 09:22

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road
Re: Das Jagdflugzeug Messerschmitt Bf 109. Technik / Eigenschaften / Leistung / Stückzahlen / Bewährung.

With a price of about £100 inc post and tax, this could still be a good book. Despite the breadth of Bf 109 publications there is still room for more! If anyone gets a copy, I would appreciate a review please.

SM
Old 29th May 2022, 10:15

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

Did anyone get the book by now?
Old 29th May 2022, 12:26

richdlc will become famous soon enough

looks fascinating...

does anyone know who the gentleman is, or have his contact details?
Old 9th June 2022, 23:16

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

...best 109 book currently out there is Peter Schmoll's " Me 109; Produktion und Einsatz "

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2018/0...d-einsatz.html
Old 29th June 2022, 17:39

FrancisM is on a distinguished road

In my opinion this is an excellent book and is the best current reference on the Bf 109. The book is very heavily footnoted, so that in 1032 pages there are 4850 footnotes. So many pages are a half page of text with the bottom half being footnotes. These are sometimes extensive as you might expect.
Primary sources are quoted thoughout, plus he has been through all the books available on the subject and these are often quoted and mistakes discussed and explained.
I haven't been through it all yet but what I've seen is remarkable. From his comments on my own work I have to admit several errors, small in nature. There are also points I disagree with.
As an idea of the intensity of his research, I believe he is the first author to deduce the exact number of Bf 109 Es produced. Many others give approximate numbers, even respected ones. Here are exact numbers although I can't guarantee there are none.
Who is he? A retired Rechtanwalt ie lawyer and you can deduce this from reading the introduction.
So I recommend this book unreservidly. It may well be overtaken on some points in the future and there is plenty of material for discussion.
Regards,
Francis
Old 29th June 2022, 18:16
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

An English edition defitely needed!
Old 30th June 2022, 00:18

richdlc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisM View Post
In my opinion this is an excellent book and is the best current reference on the Bf 109....
Who is he? A retired Rechtanwalt ie lawyer and you can deduce this from reading the introduction.
are his contact details in there?
Old 30th June 2022, 09:02

FrancisM is on a distinguished road

Richard,
no contact details but if you search for Michael Baumgartl with Frankfurt you will come across his Kanzlei through which he can probably be contacted.

Regards,
Francis