Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th October 2005, 18:16
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Attack on Brize Norton 16 Aug 40

In the afternoon of 16 Aug 40, 2 Ju 88s (according to some records) attacked Brize Norton, home of 2 SFTS and the MU, causing a fair bit of damage. However, the Luftflotte 3 reports make no mention of this but does mention 2 He 111s of I/KG 27 carrying out an attack on Benson with similar results. Is this a case of mistaken identity-Benson is SE of Oxford, Brize Norton West and they are about 25 miles apart?
Old 12th October 2005, 11:51
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Attack on Brize Norton 16 Aug 40

Hi Chris

Nice to meet you in public, so to speak! Do you come here often?

Did you spot my enquiry re Brize Norton on the 21/7/40 discussion page? I am having problems leaving messages and alos with my e-mail! Anyway, I enquired if anyone expecially you and Peter Cornwall had any additional information on the Brize Norton Station Defence Flight formed following the 16 August raid. According to my information an unauthorised ad hoc flight was formed by instructors of 2 FTS using Spitfires acquired from 6MU, these allegedly accounting for four e/a! One of the instructors was John Boulton, who was loaned to 310 Squadron and was killed.

I was also hoping that you might be able to advise me of the crew of the Wekusta 51 He111 shot down on 12/6/40.

Brian
Old 12th October 2005, 12:05
Alter Hase

Brian: Nothing on the former and I feel sure I have something on the latter which I will look at tonight (if I don't forget!)
Old 12th October 2005, 17:38
Alter Hase

12 Jun 40-Oblt Gerd Nissen (St Kap) POW, Reg Rat Dr Hermann Freudenberg (obs) killed, Ofw Hans Peckhaus (BM) POW, Uffz Franz Boinski (BF) killed, Uffz Willi Stiegelmeier (BF) killed.