Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 4th May 2023, 09:00

yogybaer is on a distinguished road
IL-2, rare outer protruding wing-tubes

I don't know how to call them... found it on the IL-2M 1942 model 1:72 from Zvezda and ask my self wether to remove them.
They are also visible in some pictures in the Gordon/Khazanov book "Soviet Conbat Aircraft part 2" on page 45 & 55 and for example in the pic below. I talk about the tubes under the wings, just before the end caps, under both wings actually.

What is their function?

Old 4th May 2023, 14:58
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: IL-2, rare outer protruding wing-tubes

They are also on this model close to each wingtip. (Scroll down to overhead view and click to enlarge.)

There appears to be a "bulb" on the end of each tube. I think the middle tube on the right wing is the pitot tube.

https://massimotessitori.altervista....8-banded10.jpg

Last edited by RSwank; 6th May 2023 at 22:26.
Old 4th May 2023, 15:34

kirche is on a distinguished road

if you are talking about the "weight compensators of the outer section of the aileron", which protrude forward on the wing tips, then they were installed until the end of 1942 - they were connected to the aileron by traction through a lever. On the IL-2 produced in 1941, there were additionally "weight compensators of the inner section of the aileron" - they protruded under the aileron.
Old 4th May 2023, 15:36

@RSwank: yes, that's what I mean.
@kirche: No, that's not what I mean .
Old 4th May 2023, 16:05

kirche is on a distinguished road

I don't really understand what it's all about, but I wrote about it))
Old 4th May 2023, 16:26

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road

Hi!

They are aileron mass balances. Their function is to prevent aileron flutter. Kirche writes about the very same thing as RSwank.

On early Il-2 they had odd mechanism where the mass and it's lever was ahead of wing leading edge and it was connected to the aileron via pushrod. I am not sure if that was rare actually as at some period all Il-2 did have it from factory. Later the balance was put somewhere else or aileron hinge line was moved backwards.

There is minimum for mass moment (= mass x lever length) and designer would like to add as little mass as possible leading to minimum lever length. I guess the mechanism was needed because there was no room for the needed lever length between aileron and wing rear spar. (BTW I have performed this mass moment determination task at work).

Cheers,
Kari
Old 5th May 2023, 09:05

@kirche: Sorry, I misunderstood you - now in hindsight, I see that you made it clear.

@Kari: Thanks for clearing it up. Will leave them on my model then, as there is a certain probability that they were part of a 1942-model.
BTW: Is the blue colour on your real piece one of the "aircraft light blues" All or AMT7 used in that timeframe? Just funny, how intense the colour still is... not really like a camouflage...