Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 30th January 2018, 15:12
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Phillip Werran Curnow, DFM

Hello to all members.

Corporal Philip Werran Curnow (RAF 532844) was Gazetted the D.F.M. on the 09th July 1940, however I do not have the citation or information about his first unit. I guess that it may have been a Wellington unit.

He later flew, as a Night Fighter Navigator.

Does anyone do have a Picture of that airman and information about his first unit (First Tour)?

Adriano Baumgartner
Old 4th February 2018, 17:20

malcolmjameswilson is on a distinguished road
Re: Phillip Werran Curnow, DFM

CURNOW, Philip Werran. 532844 Corporal, No. 37 Sqd.
L.G. 9/7/1940. Wireless Operator/Air Gunner. Air2/6080.

This Wireless Operator/Air Gunner has been continuously employed as such in an operational crew since the outbreak of hostilities and has displayed outstanding coolness and efficiency in operations against the enemy. His devotion to duty and technical skill has been instrumental in enabling his Captain to operate successfully under most adverse weather conditions both by day and night and on more than one occasion, his exceptional ability was largely responsible for the safe return of the aircraft to its base.

27th May, 1940.

Remarks by Station Commander.
This N.C.O. is considered by his C.O. to hold the best record in the squadron for consistent good work as a Wireless Operator/Air Gunner since the outbreak of war. I concure and strongly recommend him for the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.

Remarks by A.O.C.
Over long and arduous crossings of the North Sea to attack targets in Norway, this operator maintained not only excellent communication with base, enabling his aircraft to be diverted when weather conditions deteriorated, but also a most detailed log which contained valuable information with regard to other aircraft and the operation as a whole.

The above taken from: The Distinguished Flying Medal Register: Second World War by Ian Tavender.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 2nd August 2018, 15:11
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Dear Malcolm,

Sorry for the long delay in answering you back. Thank you for the information. I guess this is the same man; however he is listed as C. W. Curnow sometimes onto the documents I have read.

Am almost sure this is the same man I am looking for, as a crewmember of 604 Squadron in 1941.

Thank you again

Adriano S. Baumgartner
Old 9th August 2018, 12:30
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

538244 Phillip Werran Curnow DFM was commissioned 30 Aug 40 with the number 44561. Combat reports for 604 Sqn for Gomm make no mention of his initials apart from one which says P W Curnow, no mention of his DFM (does for others) and that he was a Plt Off at the time of their first combat in Apr 41. Same chap methinks-no others match in the London Gazette & I wonder if thios man is related:

Euan Werran McDonald Curnow LVO - on retirement as Veterinary Surgeon to the Royal Studs. - 5 August 2014[29]

Last edited by Chris Goss; 9th August 2018 at 16:18.