Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th June 2018, 17:56
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road
Re: Messerschmitt Bf 109T, Alfred Jakobi

Apropos rare Bf109 types: did the Bf109A and/or Bf109C ever see any combat ?

Cheers,

Michael
Old 4th June 2018, 18:12

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knusel View Post
Apropos rare Bf109 types: did the Bf109A and/or Bf109C ever see any combat ?

Cheers,

Michael
Any number of good books on the subject will tell you this.
Stop parasiting the forum with request after request after request.

Answer somebody else's query for once
Old 5th June 2018, 06:32

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

Hector, are you a M O D E R A T O R ? (yes, I can spell too) Then stop pretending to be one. Leave it to those who have volunteered for the job.
And for once - no, make that for all - when you have nothing good to say, or aren't going to contribute to a thread, say nothing. This forum will be a much better place for it.
Peter
Old 5th June 2018, 09:06
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoz99 View Post
Hector, are you a M O D E R A T O R ? (yes, I can spell too) Then stop pretending to be one. Leave it to those who have volunteered for the job.
Peter
Stop fighting, please.
Old 5th June 2018, 15:19

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Stop fighting, please.
Hi Nick,
as you know I have been a member of both incarnations of the 12 O'clock High forum for the better part of two decades.

For those unfamiliar with the earlier incarnation, this was its home page:
https://rhorta.home.xs4all.nl/

In order that debate or criticism not be viewed as mere fighting, can I ask for clarification on some points?

1) If somebody is posting dodgy information from spurious sources is it not OK to call out the fact?
2) If somebody has time and again been pointed in the direction of decent sources by more experienced members but continues to quote sheer poo, is it not OK to call out the fact?

Before anyone jumps on the "you can't expect us all to be on the same level" bandwagon, I will concede the point: no, not everyone has access to archival material and interviews with veterans. But at the same time, are we expected to just stand there and take it when you attempt to talk down to us...? ...From the lofty heights of the ivory tower you have constructed out of Osprey Books cemented with random googlings.... Are we expected to stand there and watch others cop that?

3) Given that this is a forum for "everybody" and not "somebody's private personal agony-aunt panel"... If somebody is using the forum to only ever post question after question after question but never gives assistance to anyone else, is it not OK to call that out?

I respectfully seek your guidance, Nick. Because in 20 years on this forum, I have never seen anything like the current issues outlined in the points above and am gobsmacked that somebody actually finds them infinitely defensible...

What gives the forum a bad look....? The fact that we once had some eminent authors and researchers contribute to this forum but it is now a playground for novices who should be learning rather than dictating, listening rather than talking down to moderators....

Other Nick

Last edited by Nick Hector; 5th June 2018 at 15:23. Reason: Add one last point
Old 6th June 2018, 21:26
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Stop fighting, please.
Good evening Nick Beale,

you only intervene when somebody critizises my stalker.
You never block his permanent harassment of mine, thereby breaking the forum rules.

M
Old 6th June 2018, 22:21
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

OK guys enough is enough. Take your personal feud off board or I will close this thread and ban each of you for 6 months.
Old 7th June 2018, 09:53
Alter Hase

Good morning Mr. John Beaman,

can you give me some useful counsel how to preserve the original topic of a thread from offensive intrusions ?
For example I want this current thread to remain a Bf109T/Alfred Jakobi discussion thread.
You see above how it went astray.

Kind regards,

Michael
Old 7th June 2018, 13:19
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

I don't intend to become involved in this - only to say that over the past two or three years Michael has been most helpful to me. I owe him gratitude and much more.

I feel that it is unfair to expect we 'ordinary' researchers to have the expertise of the Moderators (and some others). I, too, ask many questions on the Forum simply because I don't have the knowledge. Isn't that the name of the game? That's how we learn. And I don't believe that I have been able to contribute much in return.

My humble opinion is that sometimes the Moderator experts are too harsh in their judgement of we lesser beings. We should all enjoy and benefit from what is available on an otherwise excellent Forum.

Cheers - and as Michael always says - have a nice day.

Brian
Old 7th June 2018, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hi guys

I don't intend to become involved in this - only to say that over the past two or three years Michael has been most helpful to me. I owe him gratitude and much more.

I feel that it is unfair to expect we 'ordinary' researchers to have the expertise of the Moderators (and some others). I, too, ask many questions on the Forum simply because I don't have the knowledge. Isn't that the name of the game? That's how we learn. And I don't believe that I have been able to contribute much in return.

My humble opinion is that sometimes the Moderator experts are too harsh in their judgement of we lesser beings. We should all enjoy and benefit from what is available on an otherwise excellent Forum.

Cheers - and as Michael always says - have a nice day.

Brian
Brian,
Here's the difference:
As I have found out at first hand, when somebody tells you something (i.e. a bad source to be avoided), you listen. You also contribute answers and you don't play a game of "it is beneath my dignity to listen to somebody who isn't telling me exactly what I want to hear."

I hope your book on the Polar Sea Front continues to do well. Last you shared material from it with me, it seemed to be doing very well. I look forward to seeing it published it someday, I will be among the first to buy a copy. In the meantime I have turned up some more of VVS-SF's losses as inflicted by JG 5 so if there's any more help that you need, hit me up with a PM.

Nick