Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th May 2010, 21:27

zpainter is on a distinguished road
Walther dahl Fw 190 A8

I am wondering if anyone has a photo of Walther Dahl's FW 190 A8 with the B-17 in the crosshairs. I have about 4-5 photos of parts of this aircraft but do not have a profile photo for a project I am doing. If anyone could help, it is most welcome.

thanks

Fred
Old 28th May 2010, 04:33

Walterd is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Walther dahl Fw 190 A8

try this site -has a side view of dahls a8
you will have to look for it but verry good site
Walt

http://luftwaffeinprofile.se/
Old 28th May 2010, 19:50

Re: Walther dahl Fw 190 A8

Thank you very much Walt. I am looking for a photograph. I purchased an Edwards kit, and was planning on using the color and marking 4 view provided in the kit for a 1:4.5 scale model I am making. Problem is that there is no swastika.... it was "grayed" out, and I need to prove the location on the fin.

There is also some question to the badge... some have depicted a blue background,no background, red b-17....black b-17... white gunsight, black gunsight

thanks for your assistance

Fred
Old 29th May 2010, 17:50
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Walther Dahl Fw 190 A-8/R2

Hello Fred

I am sure that you have seen this photograph but here is one in which the B-17 emblem appears. You will have to make your own judgment if the bomber is black or red and whether the background is blue or camouflaged. I honestly doubt there is a full profile view photograph of this aircraft as I have never seen it. If one of the tail exists I think that by now we would have known the werknummer of this particular fighter so I doubt that exists either.

For what it is worth I hope this helps.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 29th May 2010, 21:15

Thank you Leo, I do have that photo. It appears to have been taken for propaganda. I found about 4-5 that were taken that same day. Most are close ups and I was hoping someone might have a photo of the tail of "blue 13"

Regards
Fred
Old 30th May 2010, 15:52

I was also wondering if that newsreel still exists somewhere? Has anyone researched something like this before? If so, could you point me in the right direction. My bet is that B-17 was painted on the cowling just for the propaganda film.... I saw on utube 2 newsreels of Dahl, one in Russian and the other was from the German war dept....different markings tho

Fred
Old 26th March 2017, 11:40

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

I think this badge was discussed in detail over on AAW forum when it existed.

If we start with the fact that aircraft was marked "Blue 13" and that RLM 24 (supposedly) used for it looks quite dark in the shot we can assume that even a bit lighter "Sky" blue would look a bit darker than RLM76 that is predominantly present on the sides of cowling.

"B-17" doesn't look black (you have area aft of exhausts to compare) and picker comparison in photoshop with 5x5px picker shows almost identical reading to the blue in the tactical markings.

My call would be:
i) white gunsight
ii) blue B-17
iii) no background color

I am sure some experts will show me I am wrong but - this is how I would "read" the photo.