Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th January 2018, 11:03

jeffstclair is on a distinguished road
Messerschmitt 109 in Crete?

Hello new member here with my first post ..
I was out walking my dogs the other day and came across a bit of rusty metal that I at first thought was a bit of an irrigation pump , looking at more closely I thought it looked like an exhaust stub from an aero engine ...So I did a bit of research and now I think it's from a Messerschmitt 109. The bolt pattern matches the DB 605 ... Then when I was looking at old photos of the DB605 I saw the cast ali brackets that the superchargers were mounted on and I remembered that I had seen something like that here and had been told (by neighbour now deceased) it was found "in the mountains”, which could mean anything.
I asked a few of the folk around here and no one knew of a 109 coming down here, though they had heard of a couple of British planes crashing in the general area.
So I want to find out how it got here – a small village in the hills in Eastern Crete. Can anyone point me to databases, websites or other sources that might help me to find out where it came down ...many thanks Jeff..
I’ve attached a couple of photos.
Old 12th January 2018, 00:40
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road
Re: Messerschmitt 109 in Crete?

100% DB605.

There are a looooooooot of wrecks and dive spots Greece, Italy, etc.

Probably one crashed, and it was salvaged for parts.