Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th March 2011, 14:01

Metal basher is on a distinguished road
Location of JU88 that crashed in England in 1941.

Hi there

I am new to this site. I have a read a few threads already and think folks here are the people to ask.

I am an Aircraft engineer by trade and have a passion for war bird aircraft, from all nations. I became intreiged a while ago, on the amount of world war two aircraft that crashed in the east of england in the 1940 to 1945 period. Most Aircraft that crashed during this time frame, went in nose first, obliterating any chance of investigation at the time. So I decided to have a look if there where any aircraft that made shallow, belly landings.

Investigating the East of England in 1941. I came across a report of a JU88 that made such a crash landing. It suffered double engine failure, following a raid on liverpool in the early part of 1941. The aircarft came down in the East of England in an area Called Welney Marshes. South of a town called Downham Market. The crew bailed out except the pilot who managed to put it down. He then tried to, unsuccesfully, destroy it. he was then, plus his crew capterd. I have managed to find out a story from a local paper that a local man saw the aircraft one day, then the only thing left the following day was the tail sticking out. looking through further reports. the location of the site seems to have become a mystery.

What intrigues me, could the aircraft still be there and the condition of it? If it crashed in fresh water marshes it could have been coverd over in silt and mud over time. Thus preserving the aircraft better. It has been 70 years since the aircraft crashed but the thought of a mystery of an aircraft that came down shallow, and has sunk into the marshes is a possibility worth taking further. Anyone who has more info to this story would be most welcome.
Old 13th March 2011, 14:53
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Location of JU88 that crashed in England in 1941.

The aircraft in question was a Ju 88 A-5 coded 3Z+CL (factory code DE+ES) Wk Nr 4269 of 3 Staffel/Kampfgeschwader 77 based at Laon. It did report engine failure and crash-landed at Welney 0400 hrs 4 May 41. Lt Joachim Wreschnick, Uffz Rudolf Siegmann, Uffz Friedrich Podlesch and Gefr Hellmut Pix were all captured. It was inspected by RAF intelligence & technical personnel so it did not sink into the mire. It would have been recovered and then broken up and recycled. If it was still there, local enthusiasts would have found it years ago!