Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th July 2018, 23:11
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
Re: Ju 88 with Hohentwiel radar "+RH" loss May 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gaemperle View Post
Just found the following account by Orv Iverson, 926 Signal Battalion, Company A, who was at Eschwege on 8 May 1945 (http://home.earthlink.net/~iversonom/veday1.html):

"The 3rd day after V-E day. A couple of these(ed:Stuka tank bombers) flew in and landed at our field at Eschwege. Both were short on fuel and exceedingly happy to have made it to an American airfield. (Eschwege airfield is just across the river from what was then Russian territory.) These 2 Ju-87s had been based on a island off the coast of Norway and used against allied convoys to Russia. Later the same day, a Ju 88 came stooging across the field but, in that he neglected to lower his gear, our field AA opened up on him. (Usual poor shooting) but he dropped below a nearby hill and bellied it in. --about 8 jerries were out waving white flags when our L-5 flew over."
Unfortunately, the link above doesn't work anymore. I checked the unit history of the 926 Signal Battalion and they were at Weimar on 8 May 1945. Orv Iverson even described the landing of the Me 262 Lotfe bomber there on that day. Hence, I don't know why he mentioned Eschwege in the account I copied from his website in November 2017. Has anybody saved a copy of that website?

Google still has a cached page of his VE account, but Eschwege is no longer mentioned and the URL is slightly different.

Roger

Old 31st July 2018, 09:22
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
Re: Ju 88 with Hohentwiel radar "+RH" loss May 1945

I could solve the "mistery": Via the web.archive.org website I could retrieve a screenshot of the page when it was still online. It turned out that the recollection was not that of Orv Iverson, but that of I.G. Madison, 67th Tac Rcn Gp, which was indeed stationed at Eschwege between April and July 1945.

Roger