Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 27th February 2007, 20:16

e0760256 is on a distinguished road
Reports on Captured a/c in Korea

Some time ago, I have found a report named "Evaluation and Analysis of the IL-10 Soviet Airplane" prepared by Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Inc. which worked on 2 a/c captured in Korea.

A same kind of report must have been prepared for the captured Mig-15 and I would like to get a copy. Does anyone have any clue where I can find it?
Old 2nd March 2007, 02:40

JoeB
Re: Reports on Captured a/c in Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by e0760256 View Post
Some time ago, I have found a report named "Evaluation and Analysis of the IL-10 Soviet Airplane" prepared by Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Inc. which worked on 2 a/c captured in Korea.
Sorry to answer a question with a question, but where did you find the Il-10 report?

Also sorry I don't where to find the evaluation of the MiG-15.

Joe
Old 2nd March 2007, 03:41

kurlannaiskos

did this same group ever do any reports on Yak aircraft ?
(Yak-9P or Yak-11)
Old 12th March 2007, 17:25

e0760256 is on a distinguished road

Dear Joe,

I have found the report in a garage sale. It is over 125 pages with photos and drawings. It is clear that Cornell disassembled the Il-10 down to its rivets and photographed it. There are lots of drawings given down to its electrical system. Even the stencils are included one by one.

As for the Yakolevs, I do not know if they have any reports. It must have been done.
Old 2nd September 2007, 19:51

gamary is on a distinguished road

This is the best I've found about the MiG-15. It has a few good photos and more about the defection. Test data is slim however:
http://www.historicwings.com/feature...tfindings.html

If anybody has more info concerning the Yak-9P I'd be very interested. What I've read until now is conflicting: some sources say the -9P was tested in Korea, some say it was shipped to the CONUS. Some say it force-landed, and some say it was captured on the ground.
Old 4th September 2007, 03:44

JoeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamary View Post
If anybody has more info concerning the Yak-9P I'd be very interested. What I've read until now is conflicting: some sources say the -9P was tested in Korea, some say it was shipped to the CONUS. Some say it force-landed, and some say it was captured on the ground.
The most original source I know on this is a memo written by the Office of the Air Technical Liaison Officer, Far East Air Force dated October 8, 1950 describing the office's activities securing captured planes. It states that the plane was captured on the ground in a dispersal around 1/2 mile from Kimpo airfield when the Marines retook the area during the Inchon campaign, September 19, 1950. Two intact Il-10's were captured on Kimpo airfield itself. The decision was immediately made not to attempt to fly the Yak-9, which was crated and flown (in a C-119) to Japan October 3, then shipped on to Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio where often published photo's show it reassembled and under flight test in USAF markings. ATL did attempt to fly one of the Il-10's to Japan on its own wings. It was successfully taxi tested but would not start again for the flight, so both Il-10's were also shipped, by water, to Japan

I've never seen the flight test reports, which I'd be most interested in.

Joe
Old 7th September 2007, 04:44

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough

In the early 50s (1952?), I attended a CAP encampment at Wright-Patterson. In one of the hangars, I remember climbing all over a complete, but apparently not flightworthy, IL-10. Also, the Lippisch DM-1 was in the same hangar, along with several other types that I can no longer remember. Later the same day, we saw a fire fighting demonstration and the stack of derelicts being used for practice include an XP-54, the nose off one of the early B-36 prototypes, etc. The Yak-9 was not seen then, but a couple years later it was the first aircraft in the door of the museum, looking quite fresh (light blue) and airworthy, IIRC. It was later replaced by a MiG-15. Perhaps the museum research library might have copies of test reports on these aircraft, they used to have them for most of the WWII foreign types tested.

Best Regards,

Artie Bob

Last edited by ArtieBob; 7th September 2007 at 04:47. Reason: spelling