Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 30th June 2007, 22:37

BC
B-52 battle-damage pics

Hi all:

I'm putting together a new slide presentation called "On a wing and a prayer", basically (as the title implies) about shot-up or crippled aircraft which made it home, 1939-date.

I've heard several accounts of USAF B-52s taking hits from SA-7s over Hannoi during the Linebacker campaign in Dec 1972 and returning to base, but have never seen any pictures, despite a fairly good web search.

I did find a pic of a "BUFF" which came home with most of the fin missing, but this was a 1964 incident and had nothing to do with Vietnam.

Any hints from your readers would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

BC
Old 4th July 2007, 19:42

Steve49 is on a distinguished road
Re: B-52 battle-damage pics

No pictures I'm afraid, but I'm guess you're refering to SA-2 hits rather than SA-7. The shorter ranged point defence SAM would have been hard pushed to hit a B.52 at the altitude they were operating at. All of the 15 B.52's lost were reported as being lost to SA-2 hit, though I believe two of these also suffered damage from MiG21's.

Also at least one B.52 was damaged by an SA-2 earlier in 1972 (April) during operations over North Vietnam. I believe it returned on three engines, no further details I'm affraid.

Regards,

Steve
Old 6th July 2007, 06:17

BC
Re: B-52 battle-damage pics

Thanks for that, Steve.

Yes, I meant SA-2. The media refer to the (shoulder launched heat-seeking) SA-7 as the "SAM 7" now.

I guess I'll have to keep looking re: the B-52 battle damage pictures. I have found quite a few of A-4s, F-105s, F-4s, AC-130s, etc., and a few helos, but no "BUFF" photos, unfortunately.

Thanks again for your valued input.

Regards,

BC