Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > The Second World War in General

The Second World War in General Please use this forum to discuss other World War Two related subjects not covered by the main categories.

Old 24th July 2005, 14:15
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: What was the WW2 (Europe) about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Hopp
Personally, I think this site should institute a "Politics" section for threads like this.
The Second World War in General sort of covers politics as well as any other subject having to do with the war, from art to food to sexuality. If you mean a section on modern politics, I am very cautious.

The risk of major dissent is to great. Political debate can easily create animosity between friends.

Even when discussing wars of the past, even when taking an academic approach one risks to stand accused of having the wrong sympathies.

I've learned (through hardship) to give modern analogies a wide berth when discussing historical events, although I am a strong believer in history as presenting a model for the present (and the present to help explain the past).

Sorry if I stopped making any sense!

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 26th July 2005, 00:43

G. Warrener is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: What was the WW2 (Europe) about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz
You've forgotten one important thing: the great depression; this economic crisis shattered the whole system in many countries, especially those that suffered as a result of WW1. Without it there would have been no Nazi rule in Germany, no hardcore stalinism in Russia (I mean purges etc.) and no austrofacsism in Austria ... (and no WW2).
Whilst accepting that the depression 'encouraged' Fascism - I would like to know what 'austrofascism" was - and if it was a major influence on political/military developments between 1918 & 1939

Parallels between the 30s and the present day are hard to draw - but there will always be people who feel that killing other people will change the world for the better (in their view). Faced with such people - others will assume that killing them will make the world safer.

Every morning the day dawns - and offers all a fresh start ..... an opportunity which is largely ignored, daily....

Graham
Je t'aime mélancolie.....