Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 15th April 2019, 00:07
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Book Review: Robert Forsyth: Heinkel Units of World War 2 (published Osprey, July 2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkeEins View Post
Telling us you can't find the time to write your own book is a bit of a smokescreen …
My suspicion is that almost no one who waited until they had "enough time" ever managed to write a book. Like I said, sometimes you just have you jump in and learn to swim once you're there.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:30

INM@RLM will become famous soon enough
Re: Book Review: Robert Forsyth: Heinkel Units of World War 2 (published Osprey, July 2018)

Thank you, FalkeEins, but I’m not absolutely sure what you are saying here. It sounds uncomfortably close to: If it’s short, it’s OK for it to be ….? But I don’t think you actually mean that.
One can as easily make the opposite argument. If what is on the Luftfahrt-Archiv Hafner He 177 Kompendium CD and in the RLM Monatsmeldungen for 1944 is radically at odds with the conventional story, why not use a short work as an ice-breaker to begin introducing a corrected picture?
To the start of your final sentence, a fair point, but one that I fear only confirms my inadequacy as an author. I clearly cannot write down what I mean clearly enough to get over what is actually in my head.
For me, to make the difference, it'll be the research and the spread of sources that will take the time not the writing. I believe a PhD in the UK, even pursued full-time, still typically takes three or four years. That should be about enough time to get close to bottoming the actual travails of the He 177.
Old 15th April 2019, 14:12

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

Nigel

I think Neil expressed himself very clearly as regards what one would usually expect to find in an Osprey book. Personally, I've never expected Osprey books to break significant new ground but to be exactly what Neil said, a synthesis of what has gone before. Views as to the merits of this approach might differ but that is the reality.

I don't disagree that there is far more to be unearthed to give a more complete history of the type and if anything I think combing the available sources could easily take upwards of 5 years depending upon the approach adopted.

Steve
Old 15th April 2019, 14:23
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by INM@RLM View Post
I believe a PhD in the UK, even pursued full-time, still typically takes three or four years. That should be about enough time to get close to bottoming the actual travails of the He 177.
I think you'd find amongst aviation authors that spending 6, 7 or 8 years researching and writing a book isn't entirely unusual. Some people take a lot longer than that and some people just keep researching and never get as far as writing.
Old 15th April 2019, 17:08

Jayslater is on a distinguished road

'Perhaps the publication of 'Arado Flugzeugwerke: Aircraft and Development History' in English will help.'

Here's the front cover panel for the English language edition by Fonthill Media.

Jay

Last edited by Jayslater; 9th May 2020 at 13:32.
Old 15th April 2019, 18:54
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

After working as an editor for over 30 years (fiction), I understand the constraints involved in writing non-fiction. Even fiction requires quality sources to provide a believable background. In any case, why wait? As I used to joke (a mistake, I now realize), no one is waiting for your book. If it takes a few years then so be it. I know of few authors who just sit down and produce a book in a few months. Research happens first, followed by presenting the information in an interesting way. I have read some non-fiction books where the writing was very poor, but I have kept them for the value of their technical information. Good reviews are helpful. I also want to stress the value of getting the word out once a book is ready to go to print. If this enterprise is going to continue, the outside world will need to know what is going on. And a bit more than title, page count, photos and maps. Long before the internet, everyone I know had to decide on 'why should I spend my money'? Why is this book better than others like it? Or what does this book have that is new or unique? The words 'unpublished photos' usually gets my attention. That and the promise of new, well-documented information.
Old 15th April 2019, 19:15

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough

Jay Slater wrote:

Quote:
'Perhaps the publication of 'Arado Flugzeugwerke: Aircraft and Development History' in English will help.'

Here's the front cover panel for the English language edition by Fonthill Media.
Jay - Apologies for possibly derailing the thread but can you confirm when the book will appear as Volker Koos was still unaware of a publication date as of an e-mail exchange last week.
Old 15th April 2019, 21:03
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
I think you'd find amongst aviation authors that spending 6, 7 or 8 years researching and writing a book isn't entirely unusual. Some people take a lot longer than that...
It took me over 20 years to gather the necessary material (including all the photos), then an additional four years (I am now in the fifth) to write the 250,000-word manuscript of the two-volume 'Bulgarian Fighter Colours'. Every week-end, every holiday, even Christmas time.

I am now putting the final touches on the layout of volume two. I am glad it's finally over, as the project turned out to be a monster in the past years.
I call it my "mental marathon".
Old 16th April 2019, 11:53

Jayslater is on a distinguished road

Good morning Steve,

We are awaiting a publication date and I have only recently informed Volker.

With very best wishes,

Jay
Old 16th April 2019, 12:16

Jay

Thanks for your update.

Steve