Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th June 2017, 23:35
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: 31/05/40:Missing claims III/JG26

As a researcher myself, I know how internet writings that show no source, much less an original source or credible archive source, turn into facts. Having done research the hard way, before the internet, provenance was the key, plus cross-checking other references as they became available. I dare hope that those authors who provide copious footnotes, relevant log book entries and photos retain their credibility for years to come.

This hobby/passion is still seeing new books appear. Again, as in the continuing interest in World War I aviation, new information, documents and photos continue to appear related to World War II.

Ed
Old 5th June 2017, 11:43
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about
Re: 31/05/40:Missing claims III/JG26

Hi John

Yes, check, check and check again. I have studied the mikrofilms for eighteen years, there are a few mistakes with them, plus handwriting is often bad, plus sometime mikrofilms are faint. I did identify 66500 claims, but there are another 100 I guess that I cannot identify. Recently was helped with the Bedarski name with JG 54. Always room for improvement.

Regarding Jochen Prien, he has somebody read the mikrofilms for him, and they are 99.9% accurate, though his JG 2 file in Afrika became corrupted somehow and all the date and details are correct, except the pilots names. So anybody copying his work will duplicate this!!!!

Kind Regards

Johannes