Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 12th June 2007, 23:54
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Help identify japanese pilot Hiroshi Kasai - attack Pearl Harbour

Hello to all! I am not fond of the Pacific Campaign, so did never read about that. I met here in Brazil the grand-daughter of a japanese pilot who apparently flew on the attack on Pearl Harbour.
His name is HIROSHI KASAI or MYOYA KASAI. This friend of my woman said she did not know if he was a fighter or a bomber pilot. ( I do believe the later ). It seems he survived the war and come to Brazil in mid 50´s. He passed away and I will be looking if she had some photos of his grand-father.
Where could I obtain a list of ALL japanese pilots who took part in the attack of Pearl Harbour? Is there such a list? Does anyone ever heard about this pilot?
Glad to any information on that ( I must say again that I am a ZERO when dealing with Japanese and Marines History, so please excuse any fault ).
Sincerely

Adriano Baumgartner
Old 18th June 2007, 22:03

David_Aiken is on a distinguished road
Re: Help identify japanese pilot Hiroshi Kasai - attack Pearl Harbour

Konnichiwa Adriano San,
The listing of 765 Japanese participants is incomplete...and is listed by carrier, type plane, and by crew (not ALL participants were 'pilots') ...thus not in "Alpha" order. It would be nice to know the carrier, and type plane. THAT would aid the quest!

The list is on-line at: http://www007.upp.so-net.ne.jp/togo/...earl_jpn1.html and http://www007.upp.so-net.ne.jp/togo/...earl_jpn2.html

Do NOT believe all of the tail codes given...check out the aircraft at: http://groups.msn.com/japanesemodela...raircraft.msnw

Cheers,
David Aiken, a Director: Pearl Harbor History Associates, Inc. http://www.pearlharbor-history.org/
Old 19th June 2007, 04:35

fsbofk is on a distinguished road

Model Art published a book in the early '90s titled "Pearl Harbor" (no. 378) that has lots of group photos of fighter, dive bomber, torpedo bomber, and level bomber aircrew (pilots & observers) from the Hawaii Operation carriers. Captions are provided, but are in Japanese. There are also lots of color profiles of participating aircraft, with aircrew identified when known.
Old 19th June 2007, 19:47
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Thank you to both of you! I had a careful look at the sites Mr. David Aiken suggested, but they are all in Japanese.
I will ask my friend if she knows about the Aircraft Carrier. It would be easier I guess ( maybe there is a photo with his family ).
It is very interesting that he survived the onslaught of WW2. Maybe injured, who knows? I will met my friend in two days and ask her. Thank you again for your kind help and contribution on a difficult subject. ( I believed that the Japanese had a record of their WW2 achievements, like the Imperial War Museum or USAF Historical Branch ).
We will keep in touch - surely!
Sincerely yours
Adriano
Old 10th July 2007, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsbofk View Post
Model Art published a book in the early '90s titled "Pearl Harbor" (no. 378) that has lots of group photos of fighter, dive bomber, torpedo bomber, and level bomber aircrew (pilots & observers) from the Hawaii Operation carriers. Captions are provided, but are in Japanese. There are also lots of color profiles of participating aircraft, with aircrew identified when known.
Aloha fsbofk...
The "Shinjuwan Kogekitai (Pearl Harbor Attack Units)" by K. Osuo with illustrations by S. Nohara [Tokyo, Model Art, Oct 1991] has a host of illustration errors. Be wary!

Check with the updated "Shinjuwan no 101 Ki (Pearl Harbor & 101 Aircraft)" by H. Yoshimura, with M. Asano and David Aiken posted at: http://groups.msn.com/japanesemodela...cajan1990.msnw with COLOR illustrations at: http://groups.msn.com/japanesemodela...raircraft.msnw

Cheers,
David Aiken
Old 10th July 2007, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
I met here in Brazil the grand-daughter of a japanese pilot who apparently flew on the attack on Pearl Harbour.
His name is HIROSHI KASAI or MYOYA KASAI.
Adriano Baumgartner
I have read the names of the 765 Japanese airmen... I have found only one "Kasai". Petty Officer Second Class Kiyoshi Kasai was a radioman aboard a Hiryu High-level B5N KATE in the first wave over Oahu.

HTH,
David Aiken
Old 31st July 2007, 17:18

NUPPOL is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Help identify japanese pilot Hiroshi Kasai - attack Pearl Harbour

Looked at the list-but can't translate Japanese.
As translated-what would it look like? Does it tell losses?
For example what were "Akagi" losses according to list?